Evicting A Tenant

Cheryl_Hutching
Cheryl_Hutching Registered User, Daily Operations Certified
We are new to the storage world. We are in Washington State and want to just ask other fellow facilities how do you evict a tenant. We have a tenant who makes staff VERY uncomfortable and we have come across some new news that the customer is known with the law and isn't who he seems to be. He stayed in his unit the first night he rented with us but was very apologetic the next morning when the gates opened. anyone have any advice to how we go about getting him out without backlash?

Comments

• Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stayed in the unit should be grounds for eviction right there per your lease i'd bet. If he provided false information for his identity that could be another reason. I don't know hte Washingston state laws but a quick google of the states storage by laws should provide you the timeframe and what notices are needed to be enforced for eviction.
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    CVSSSTORAGE Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    We just had to give a tenant a 30 day notice. Based on my state once that 30 days is up their stuff is yours but you will need to look into your state
  • Ron
    Ron Registered User ✭✭✭
    If your notice does not work. Start raising the rent....a lot. Do a 50% increase, then a 75% or more.
    For a real eviction you do have to go through the courts or law enforcement so our notices really have no teeth. Rent increases have a lot of teeth. 
  • Ron
    Ron Registered User ✭✭✭
    We just had to give a tenant a 30 day notice. Based on my state once that 30 days is up their stuff is yours but you will need to look into your state
    What state would allow you to take a tenant's property after a 30 day notice? You send a notice to a tenant who will be gone for over a month you can take their belongings?

I really think your policy would be tested in court if you tried it.
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good suggestion @Ron, even aside from the eviction leases are a month to month contract that can be ended by either party. There is nothing stating you HAVE to rent to someone. Aside from the out right eviction you can notify them you no longer wish to continue their contract and they need to be moved out by the end of the current term.
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    @Ron I actually should have made myself clearer we did the 30 day to terminate tenancy and are also putting them in next months auction. They are more than welcome to their trash if they would like to come claim it but they won't so they have technically had almost 60 days of non rent payment 
  • Ron
    Ron Registered User ✭✭✭
    @Ron I actually should have made myself clearer we did the 30 day to terminate tenancy and are also putting them in next months auction. They are more than welcome to their trash if they would like to come claim it but they won't so they have technically had almost 60 days of non rent payment 
    So it is not really an eviction but a lien process. If they tried to pay you could not refuse their payment and sell them. We give people a 5 day notice to get out, which same as the others has no teeth. The 5 days does not give them time to think about it. They normally move on or we can have someone paying $150 a month for an $80 unit.
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    @Ron we don't want their money we want them out. They were peeing in bottles and throwing them on our roof. When I say they have just trash I mean it is legit trash in their unit. If they come to get their stuff it is there's. They won't though.

• i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given proper notice, we can terminate any lease for any cause.  Check your state's statutes and follow to the letter.  Good luck.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • Cheryl_Hutching
    Cheryl_Hutching Registered User, Daily Operations Certified
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions! This was very helpful to us and we really enjoy using the Forum. We are a month to month and it worked that his lease was up the date he needed to out of his unit. 
  • Clyde_Lord_Jr
    Clyde_Lord_Jr Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭
    Think about your other tenants as well. You want them to feel safe when they come to your facility especially after office hours. Utilize your legal lease going forward in order to maintain a safe, friendly property.
  • Orkocean
    We just sent the letter out yesterday to end the lease at the end of the monthly term as well since the eviction process is a p.i.t.a.. Assuming the tenant gets out of jail in time lol.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads