Moldy/Mildew Smelling Unit

Options
Hi!  I just joined StorageForum and decided that instead of looking through 52 pages of topics, I'd just ask!  I have an outside standard unit that was rented for a short time (the facility has been in operation for 12 years) and now smells moldy when you first open the door and walk in.  Once inside, you can't smell it.  Any ideas on what to do to eliminate the problem?  Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• websterb
    websterb Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe the rubber weatherstripping on the door has absorbed moisture, or it might be seeping through the walls from  neighboring unit? Might try placing a box of baking soda in the corner for a week or 2 and see if that helps.
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Always follow your nose. If you only smell it at the door it's most likely as @websterb stated and involves the rubber. It could also possibly be if the unit is kept closed for a bit the smell is building up and hits you right when you open the door as it's a new smell to you at the time then you get used to it if it's not that strong so you quit noticing it. 

If it's a unit you have access to pull back the rubber and check it out. If you're looking to just mask the smell Home Depot has a spray called Odo-Ban that i've used at facilities to mask odors in the past with good success. 
  • fstopn
    fstopn Registered User
    Options
    We use "OZIUM" It's the best, we spray after every move-out and if it's been vacant for a while.  We check vacant units during lock checks AM and PM.  We carry it with us in case.
  • pcss
    pcss Registered User
    Options
    Thanks!  Sally

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads