Blocking Customers From Renting Again

Blackjack
Blackjack Registered User
edited November 2018 in SiteLink myHub
Sitelink says it does not have a way to block a customer from renting again that have been evicted etc. They recommended that we should keep a note in customer notes. We have been able to maintain that list and note until technology has taken over and customers began renting at kiosk and online. Customers have been renting a unit that we have recently evicted them from in exact name soon after we just got rid of them thru kiosk or online. I really wish there was a way in sitelink to block them so they can not rent again. Does any one have any ideas? This is a new problem to our facility. I hope sitelink creates a block out button or something to help . 

Comments

• Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that's no fun. I'm assuming the kiosk/online services are to allow your customers to rent outside of office hours and move in without dealing with any staff. Unfortunately even if you could create a block list what is to stop them from getting a friend to rent it in their name for them? That's just one of the drawbacks to allowing remote rentals like that sadly. You could always find the silver lining in the fact they just pay most likely another admin fee and lock fee and just evict them again. Assuming your state doesn't require any court proceedings and you just need to hand them a paper and tell them 24 hours to move out.
  • Amy441
    Amy441 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭
    I want a block button also it may not be 100% effective but its a start. 
  • Jose
    Jose Registered User
    Your best approach to catch it as soon as it happens and let them know they can no longer rent with you. We give them a full refund for whatever they paid at the time of rental. In fact, I recently did this with a tenant who was evicted, but came back and rented a unit at the kiosk a few days later. 
  • Clyde_Lord_Jr
    Clyde_Lord_Jr Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭
    Is there anything in your lease that says you have the ability to deny them access for any reason? If they sign the lease that means they agree to abide by your rules. Over lock their unit or deny their code. Ours is under denial of access in the lease.
  • Iamkathleen
    Iamkathleen Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭
    I wish that when a customer moved out we could click a button and when they came back and we scanned their DL or put their name in there was a big red WARNING note that came up.  I would be able to say " I am sorry but you've were auctioned " or " Last time you were here you did this ___ " and we are unable to rent to you.  I know that you can do a search then read the notes while they are moving in but sometimes that takes a bit of time.  
  • sonyawiprud
    sonyawiprud Registered User ✭✭✭
    Isn't it amazing that they come back?? I recently had a guy who went to auction a few months ago, come in and ask if he could rent again!! Also after his auction sold he had his girlfriend harass us for months about the fact that his identity was in his unit and we could liable for it! Incredible! 
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    CVSSSTORAGE Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    We don't do online rentals but we do check on the previous tenant search to see if they owe and if they do I tell them they cannot move in here unless they pay their outstanding balance left from auction. My town is always full so they 9 times out of 10 pay us what they owe us. We did have someone come in to rent and I knew they were a problem so I said I am sorry we cannot rent to you t this time, they had someone else come and rent for them and sure enough they just went to auction this month again. So I made a mental note to say we are full even if we aren't.
  • websterb
    websterb Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭
    We do not have a Kiosk but I keep a written "do not rent list" pinned close to my computer, out of customer view. Old school way of doing it, but it helps.
  • SanSabaSongbird
    SanSabaSongbird Registered User ✭✭
    I hate returning Bad Tenants.  Kiosk are great.  However, you do lose control of your facility.  Undesirable people move in and there are people who rent a 5 X 10 but move into a 10 X 15 unit.  It causes me to be more vigilant and more paperwork.  I guess that is the nature of the storage business.
  • dbudgen
    dbudgen Registered User ✭✭✭
    If you do online or kiosk rentals, look into the new DaVinci locks. We put them on the units assigned to the kiosk and online rentals. Then they can't move into the wrong unit.
  • JEFFRY
    JEFFRY Registered User ✭✭✭
    @SanSabaSongbird how is that possible??? the company i work for will be doing online rentals soon and later on a kiosk so i am not that familiar with the process, but i figured that even if they rent the unit after hours they will only have access the next business day when the lock is removed and the code is functional?
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on how you set things up to run for your site.. I worked a site where we did online rentals, the first 2 unit numbers of every size available would populate online as options to rent online. On our end we only had seal tags on the unit latches so customers could rent after hours and show up, pop the tag and move in. They would be charged for a lock during the move in process which we had inside the unit along with 2 bottles of water and a thank you card.
  • Shawnab8
    Shawnab8 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭
    At our facility they can only reserve online they can't move in without a signature and a DL. While there is no way to block them at least they can't sign and rent before we realize who they are. 
  • funkifyy
    funkifyy Registered User
    Can't your store just run their credit to see if they have defaulted? We don't do this but it seems logical to catch these people if they defaulted...even if they did it at another store.
  • MrFugate
    MrFugate Registered User ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    funkifyy said:
    Can't your store just run their credit to see if they have defaulted? We don't do this but it seems logical to catch these people if they defaulted...even if they did it at another store.
    Most properties do not do a credit search on customers, A past customer search is the best was & when you find one that owes your property money Inform them of the past balance & ask if they would like to take care of it. I've had a few people pay what they owe , Just a few, the others end up going away never to be seen again :)  
  • viper
    viper Registered User
    Old school systems don’t seem to work when you go with modern technology they use different names different cards and different people will rent for them we have had this problem many times now they are getting to the point of buying stuff from the auction moving it to a different location under a different name and screwing us a second time and a third. I believe the only way to fix the problem is by their stuff at auction and throw it out
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish that when a customer moved out we could click a button and when they came back and we scanned their DL or put their name in there was a big red WARNING note that came up.  I would be able to say " I am sorry but you've were auctioned " or " Last time you were here you did this ___ " and we are unable to rent to you.  I know that you can do a search then read the notes while they are moving in but sometimes that takes a bit of time.  
    Yes!!!  @storable_support
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • storable_support
    storable_support Registered User, Registered Moderator, Community Manager ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for flagging this awesome feature request, @i43storage! Thanks for the idea, @Iamkathleen; I'll be sure our Product Team sees this!  
  • GlenMark
    GlenMark Registered User ✭✭✭

The owner of GlenMark and I have talked about this as well. Thankfully we haven't have very many issues with folks who we've blacklisted coming back later to rent again. The few who have I was able to recognize. But I have also been with the company for seven years and it would be nice to have something like what Kathleen talked about. Just in case.
  • AnitaJohnson1269
    AnitaJohnson1269 Registered User ✭✭✭✭
    Or if there was a way to include any balance on moved out accounts.  It would show up on payment screen when they pay their move in charges.  
    Also existing tenants... tenant with 5 units came in for roll of tape. Didn't want to run cc for $2 so left on account until next auto payment.  Tenant moved out of the 1 unit the tape was charged to. I was jumping through hoops to remove charge (can't just remove after daily close)  and apply to another unit. 
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    @storable_support Any update on adding this feature?
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads