Cylinder Locks

Options
aceypoo1
aceypoo1 Registered User
Those of you who use cylinder locks - How do you handle it when a tenant looses their keys?  How do you remove the cylinder and replace it?  What about for foreclosure procedures - how do you remove the cylinder to access the unit for taking pictures?

Comments

• i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    If a tenant loses their keys and would like you to cut off their lock, I would suggest having them sign a form stating that.  Then, you will need to grind the cylinder lock off (best location to cut is at 2 o'clock on the front face of the lock).  I would charge them a fee (stated on the form).

If you need to cut the lock for auctions, that should be spelled out in their lien letter - also charging them.

In both events, we put one of our manager locks on to keep the unit secure.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @i43storage You grind cylinder locks? That's interesting, never seen it done that way. Anytime i've had a site that used cylinders I've just drilled them out.

Side story that it made me remember... I had an asst for a site in Orlando who called me griping about how they take 40+ mins to drill out once, on my next trip their I took one off the rack, popped it in a unit and had it done in less than a minute. The look on a big muscle guy's face is so great when a smaller person does something they struggle with. Like the time I bolt cut off a disc lock in front of 6 "big boys" who laughed when I told them if they use my bolt cutters it's free, if I do it I charge and they didn't think I could get it. :smile:
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Orkocean said:
    Like the time I bolt cut off a disc lock in front of 6 "big boys" who laughed when I told them if they use my bolt cutters it's free, if I do it I charge and they didn't think I could get it. :smile:
    Up until this property, I always used bolt cutters for the disc locks.  Here, the locks/latches are at the bottom of the door against the floor.  So I have no way to get the leverage I need.  I really prefer using bolt cutters, though.  I could pop those right off!
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MamaDuke7 said:
    Orkocean said:
    Like the time I bolt cut off a disc lock in front of 6 "big boys" who laughed when I told them if they use my bolt cutters it's free, if I do it I charge and they didn't think I could get it. :smile:
    Up until this property, I always used bolt cutters for the disc locks.  Here, the locks/latches are at the bottom of the door against the floor.  So I have no way to get the leverage I need.  I really prefer using bolt cutters, though.  I could pop those right off!
    I was popping them off when I started as the company refused to buy a grinder. I did it for awhile until I popped something in my elbow and said enough and bought my own grinder, now I use that for every lock regardless how big or small.
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Orkocean - Good grief this isolation is getting to me.  I was confusing cylinder with disc.  Grinding out a cylinder lock WOULD be something to see.  Sorry @aceypoo1.

On a side note, funny thing happened to me yesterday - we mowed the lawn ... and then it started to snow.   B)
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @aceypoo1 One of our branches has exclusively cylinder locks. They have the tenant sign a "lock cut form" and charge a small fee, then they have to drill out the lock. 

here is a good discussion about how to:
    https://www.selfstoragetalk.com/forum/general-self-storage-forums/day-to-day-management/4659-cylinder-lock-cutting
  • themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @aceypoo1 One of our branches has exclusively cylinder locks. They have the tenant sign a "lock cut form" and charge a small fee, then they have to drill out the lock. 

Here is a good discussion about how to:
    https://www.selfstoragetalk.com/forum/general-self-storage-forums/day-to-day-management/4659-cylinder-lock-cutting

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads