Anyone completely paperless?

Options
We currently still use folders, but the amount of paperwork we file is considerably less.  We make a copy of their drivers license, a customer sign-up sheet, a copy of their payment receipt upon move-in, any insurance info, and the last page of their contract with their signature on it.   Since the virus, I have been running the company myself and have been able to make the changes to successfully run the business during these times.  I find that I only seek out their folders when they are moving out (this is something that I thought we were accessing quite a bit).  Are any of you completely paperless?  If so, what are the problems you have encountered?  Where would I keep things like certified mail notices for delinquent tenants?  Thanks for your input. Stay Well.  

Comments

• Dtinfla
    Dtinfla Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    I cant imagine being completely paperless, or not having a need for file folders with pertinent information.   I think the goal is to greatly reduce the amount of paper and ink used.  
  • GSI03
    GSI03 Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    You can scan their driver's license in at the time of move-in.   We also scan in insurance info--if they have their own, as well as any correspondence.  However, their isn't really much storage memory in an account.  I also feel more comfortable keeping hard copies of any legal documents, especially anything to do with auctions or liens.
  • lcmatteson
    lcmatteson Registered User
    Options
    The Jenkins Organization went completely paperless abt 2 years ago.
    As soon as we were set up with Esign, we started scanning ALL leases into dropbox, then all new Esign leases go to drop box as well....

They only print the payment receipts now, except daily closes of course.
    I am setting up my new company for Esign as well. We will be up and running this month.
  • lcmatteson
    lcmatteson Registered User
    Options
    GSI03 said:
    You can scan their driver's license in at the time of move-in.   We also scan in insurance info--if they have their own, as well as any correspondence.  However, their isn't really much storage memory in an account.  I also feel more comfortable keeping hard copies of any legal documents, especially anything to do with auctions or liens.

If you use your CC swiper, swipe their Dl too while you are in Leads to leases, it fills in the info for you.
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GSI03 said:

If you use your CC swiper, swipe their Dl too while you are in Leads to leases, it fills in the info for you.
    Just be mindful when scanning DL with the CC swiper that not all states DL's will work. I know Jenkins is TX so theirs will work unless you happen to get an out of state customer. And if you go by info sheet provided for address for instance versus what's on the DL you must remember to correct that info before saving.
  • sonyawiprud
    sonyawiprud Registered User ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    GSI03 said:

Does not work in California as far as I can tell. When I saw this I was so excited to try it!! Darn!
  • ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Orkocean Same here, but in Texas as well. No matter if the ID is Texas or out of state, it inputs it all jumbled up and in all caps. Not worth the hassle of having to go back, delete, and correct. I think for the DL # it also inputs their DOB lol
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only piece of paper I keep is the first page of the eDocument lease.  This way if the computer dies, I still have contact information for all of my tenants ... until the tornado comes.   B)
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • bbarnett
    bbarnett Registered User
    Options
    We still keep copies of Leases, auto pay authorization forms and we also keep files of move outs by year.  I can't imagine going completely paperless.  Fire, tornadoes, hurricanes you name it.  I also use thumb drives to back up our laptop just in case.  Too many units and tenants , if you had to start over......OMG! LOL

• VictorJS
    VictorJS Registered User
    Options
    We will be completely paperless very soon. I'm finding it more difficult to change the habits in our office than the need for pointless printing. 

We use e-sign for our leases both online and for the office. We send everything electronically via email, all receipts and contracts. Which also lends to obtaining the person's email address.

We digitize everything and move it to the cloud as a low cost back up.

We've realized that all electronic data can be pulled back out of the system at anytime. Our accountants are completely paperless and suggested we do the same on the financial side. 

I love being paperless! I determined our copier usage cost us (at a minimum) at least $300 per month. A tidy sum to have back in the coffers. 
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    CVSSSTORAGE Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    we have to send pre liens and liens through the mail as well as email, is that not the case in all states?
  • themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In some states, I believe "certified email" is an option for pre-liens and liens.

We still keep paper leases, even for e-signed stuff, and send paper for pre-lien and lien. For the moment, we just don't trust the cloud that much, I guess. Of course, it is mostly the "this is the way we've always done it" attitude, and "don't fix it if it aint broke".

Which reminds me... I should go dispose of our more ancient archives.
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    we have to send pre liens and liens through the mail as well as email, is that not the case in all states?
    You don't have to do it via BOTH methods in CA, email is allowed if they have it signed off on in their lease that they authorize notifications via email. Otherwise just send the letters with the firm book and it meets the requirements and MUCH cheaper than certified.
  • GSI03
    Options
    In SC you have to sent lien letters via mail, and auction notices via certified mail.  Some of my issues of going completely paperless is what happens when the internet goes down?  How will you do a lease?  How will you know how much someone owes if you don't print the rent roll?   What if someone wants a paper copy of their receipt?    I'm sure there are other reasons I haven't thought of.
  • Orkocean
    Options
    GSI03 said:
    In SC you have to sent lien letters via mail, and auction notices via certified mail.  Some of my issues of going completely paperless is what happens when the internet goes down?  How will you do a lease?  How will you know how much someone owes if you don't print the rent roll?   What if someone wants a paper copy of their receipt?    I'm sure there are other reasons I haven't thought of.
    I have had power outtages in FL a few times and internet outtage maybe once or twice that was during a time I needed sitelink usage. While i'm not a fan of using myhub on the phone it CAN be used in those instances with your cell phone. If it was my choice we'd be paperless at this company as the number of times one of those issues pops up is so rare it's not a problem imo. 
  • GSI03
    Options
    I'm just better safe than sorry guy!   I will never be comfortable going paperless.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads