tenant ins

LADYLIFT1
LADYLIFT1 Registered User ✭✭✭
Does everyone offer tenant ins, is it mandatory, or does not offer 

Comments

• ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    We do not offer nor require it. We encourage tenants to use their homeowners or renters insurance and have them sign addendum that they understand we are not responsible for insuring them.
  • Dtinfla
    Dtinfla Registered User ✭✭✭
    It is a condition of our rental agreement that the tenant have the items they are storing insured.  We don't require they purchase a property protection plan from us, but we do offer them.  If they provide a declarations page for their homeowners insurance or renters insurance, that will suffice.  If they lack insurance and insist they don't want to purchase our plans, we have them sign a waiver, they understand they are storing at their own risk.  It always makes me laugh when a tenant says "There's nothing in there worth insuring!"...then why are they paying to store it?  You can bet if something happened, they would have a change of heart as to the value of those same items!
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Once we added insurance a couple years ago, I require it.  I include the price in my quote for rent and tell them insurance is included.  We make an additional $4k per month from it.
  • GSI03
    GSI03 Registered User ✭✭✭
    We have to have ins at time of rental.  They can use ours or theirs, f they use ours and then send us the dec page of their homeowners or renters policy we will switch to theirs next month.  We will not rent without one or the other.   
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    We require it or proof of their own. It's been a few years since i've had to go over any "training" for selling insurance since it's second nature now a days to me but I do remember when some of the bigger companies I worked for it was strongly stressed that we could "not" bundle it in with pricing as it seems some of the larger REITS we're having lawsuits to do with that.

Not stating it is or isn't right to do so no offense to anyone if you do as I just took them for their word at the time and never researched the legalities of it.

I personally don't bring it up unless asked over the phone and when we're in person it's not until we're finalizing the rental and in the setup screen to select an insurance option before I go over their options with them. 1000's of rentals in my years across this country for 3 companies thus far and in all that time i've lost only 2 rentals ever over it. 1 was an ahole I was already considering burning out and not renting to and the other was just a stubborn older customer.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads