CERTIFIED LETTERS

LADYLIFT1
LADYLIFT1 Registered User ✭✭✭
I keep having certified letters coming back signed COVID 19.
Anyone else and does it matter 

Comments

• themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will have to check with your current state rules, but some states have temporarily halted all collections activity, late fees, evictions for non payment, etc.  I can't think of any other reason someone would return a letter with Covid 19 written on it.

• GSI03
    GSI03 Registered User ✭✭✭
    Signed by the Post Office, or the tenant?  If it's the tenant it would be just like when they refuse to accept the certified, or never pick it up and the auction process will continue anyway.  At least that's the law in SC.   
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya, who is writing that on there?  I've never heard of that before.  There are many reasons to send certified letters - not all of them are collections.  I don't think the U.S.P.S. would have the right to deny that or they wouldn't be mailing them out at the post office to begin with.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • LADYLIFT1
    the customer     instead of signing their name 
  • ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ohh! They're trying to get over on you, is all  :#
  • LADYLIFT1
    thank you
  • GSI03
    Got my first 2 back and talked to my Post Master.  The new regulations are--due to Covid--that on regular certifieds they just have to write in the signature line "covid-19" and deliver normally, no signature.  If you still want an actual signature you have to step up to restricted delivery which takes the cost up to $12.40.  I will start doing that from now on.  To me, it is well worth the extra $.   
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your state does not require signatures don't bother wasting the money. Every state i've operated in has never required it for liens. All we have to do is send via a form of mail that provides a proof of the date it was sent so all we do is use the firm book digital forms. Take it to the post office to get your circle date stamp on the form, send up to 8 letters a page for a couple of bucks total.
  • GSI03
    I guess it is what you feel comfortable with.   
  • ShedStuff
    ShedStuff Registered User ✭✭✭
    We use certificate of mailing ....it proves we have sent them a notice of the Lien sale and its stamped by the USP ; much cheaper than certified mailings.
  • AKKathie
    AKKathie Registered User ✭✭✭
    yes and that is CERTIFICATE of mailing not CERTIFIED.  Two completely diff forms and prices.

• i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    GSI03 said:
    Got my first 2 back and talked to my Post Master.  The new regulations are--due to Covid--that on regular certifieds they just have to write in the signature line "covid-19" and deliver normally, no signature.  If you still want an actual signature you have to step up to restricted delivery which takes the cost up to $12.40.  I will start doing that from now on.  To me, it is well worth the extra $.   

That is odd and it doesn't seem like my mailman is doing that as I sent out a certified letter and my mailman is not delivering it "normally."  He is waiting for the addressee to sign for it (which I know he won't and it will eventually get sent back to me).
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    GSI03 said:
    I guess it is what you feel comfortable with.   
    My mailman still makes me sign for every returned certified letter he brings me!  And I'm not even the recipient, I'm the original sender!!!
  • LADYLIFT1
    I send certified    apparently its the mailman writing covid in the box  I went to the post office   they said it is legal and considered delivered with the covid,  Mailmen dont want to go to doors incase the person is sick  
  • i43storage

I found this on the interwebs:

Here is what the USPS has published regarding mail delivery that requires a signature:

We recognize the close proximity and additional handling that occurs when employees must ask customers for a signature and government issued identification when required. To reduce health risks, we are temporarily modifying customer signature capture procedures. Effective immediately and until further notice, our employees will follow the temporary process below for signature service items. This process applies to all letter carriers:

•  Avoid ringing the doorbell when possible. Knock on the customer’s door. Avoid areas that may be frequently touched when knocking.
    • While maintaining a safe, appropriate distance, employees will request the customer’s first initial and last name.
    • For increased safety, employees will ask the customer to step back a safe distance or close the screen door/door so that they may leave the item in the mail receptacle or appropriate location by the customer door.
    • If there is no response, employees will follow the normal Notice Left process.
    • If there are delivery points on the route where social distancing recommendations are difficult to follow, alternative delivery methods can be explored. (Industry Alert – 3/20/20 https://faq.usps.com/s/article/USPS-Coronavirus-Updates-for-Residential-Customers#mailing_shipping)

Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • CoffeeZilla
    CoffeeZilla Registered User ✭✭✭
    Does somebody know if the new halt in residential evictions has anything to do with storage? I tried looking it up, and it seems like it's only for their actual living place, but could they argue that their stuff "lives" in their unit? It becomes effective today.
  • themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a state level temporary law that (probably, according to our lawyers) effects storage. If you are referring to the CDC order, it does seem to apply only to residential evictions.
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does somebody know if the new halt in residential evictions has anything to do with storage? I tried looking it up, and it seems like it's only for their actual living place, but could they argue that their stuff "lives" in their unit? It becomes effective today.
    This varies by city, county, and state.  For instance, here in California as a state it doesn't apply to storage.  In my county, it doesn't apply.  In Los Angeles County it doesn't apply.  But in the CITY of Los Angeles, there is a moratorium because the City Council passed a specific ordinance.

So you'll need to find out what the rules are specific to your location, unfortunately.
  • CoffeeZilla
    CoffeeZilla Registered User ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone!

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads