Abandoned Unit? No notice of vacating

I have a tenant that left the lock and keys in their unit a few weeks ago. I briefly opened the unit to see if they had just vacated without notice. There were a couple items (trash) left in the unit. I locked the unit back up and tried to contact the tenant. I have been unable to contact, never received official notice, and wondering best way to proceed with this unit??

Comments

• BusyProperties
    BusyProperties Registered User ✭✭✭
    Let them know that it looks like they have vacated and that you will move them out of the unit if they do not respond by __/__/__. I have had quite a few of these that do not respond and it is empty or very little left. I end up eating the rent charges but am able to get them moved out and rent it to someone else! 
  • ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are paid until the end of the month, wait until the last day of the month. If you still don't receive notice by EOM, charge them a clean-up fee and move them out by the 1st. I would take the lock back off, place it back inside of the unit with the key and overlock it with a tag; send them a notice that they need to come secure their unit.
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    If they are not communicating with you - they have moved on.  I would take a picture of the items left, sweep it clean, keep their security deposit, and rent it out to someone new right away.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • GSI03
    GSI03 Registered User ✭✭✭
    Make sure you take pictures and document everything you do!
  • Starkey
    Starkey Registered User
    GSI03 said:
    Make sure you take pictures and document everything you do!
    That is why I LOVE the feature sitelink has that you can upload pictures in the accounts!!! I do this a lot!

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads