Using a lock or boot to prevent a past due tenant from moving out

Options
Hi everyone,

I've had a few incidents where a past due tenant just took their stored item and skipped out on their past due rent.  They were locked out of the facility (gate code disabled), but were likely able to follow someone else in or out of the gate.  Has anyone used a boot of some sort to prevent this from happening? I'm considering this method, and wondering if anyone has any feedback and/or recommendations on what might work best to avoid this happening. 

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• JEFFRY
    JEFFRY Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    we have them locked out at the gate and we overlock their unit as well to prevent that from happening, seems to work cause or they pay or they go to auction. what do you mean by "boot"?
  • themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For cars and trailers, we will occasionally use a hitch lock or a boot. We also have a second gate separating the parking area from the rest of the facility, so tailgating is a little harder.

• JEFFRY
    JEFFRY Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    that makes sense, we only lock out at the gate the vehicles that are late, we have discussed it before but upper management does not want to go that route yet lol
  • Lady5563
    Lady5563 Registered User
    Options
    I just deny access at the gate. If they "sneak" on the property and "steal" their own stuff, I can choose to prosecute them! 
  • Gellehaiak
    Gellehaiak Registered User
    edited December 2021
    Options
    In this case, you are entitled to claim compensation from the tenant for damages caused by the failure to fulfill obligations under the lease agreement, including in the form of lost profits. Suppose the tenant fails to compensate for the damage caused. In that case, you have the right to file a lawsuit to recover rent arrears and late payment interest from the tenant, as well as interest for the use of other people's property.

Such tenants should be punished immediately. Order the move from https://loparemovals.com/european-removals-germany. The tenants will pack their things in front of you and leave.

• Nazpastortony
    Nazpastortony Registered User ✭✭
    Options
    We are storage units only.  We overlock units as well as deactivate gate codes for that purpose.  I do not know the legalities or common practices for those who have vehicles stored on the premises.
  • ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hitch lock was used at our property that did parking. Don't always depend on your gate software. 2 days ago I had a past due tenant (13 days past due) our gate is supposed to lock on on the second, we do overlock in sitelink on 8th as well, he was able to access his unit and vacate. Gate let him in and he was in a climate unit in a hall...that keypad let him in too. I checked StorLogix and he was the only tenant that was not suspended that was supposed to be. I haven't been doing physical overlocks in the halls because what are the chances he can follow someone in the gate and in his hall (we're pretty low traffic). Welp, this was def a learning experience and all tenants that are supposed to be overlocked on their units, are now.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads