Failure to give 30 day notice

Options
RSS
RSS Unconfirmed, Registered User
I have concerns and questions about how to legally not return a deposit because of failure to give notice of moving out. I have heard in apartments that the landlord must give a letter to the tenant. Any input? 

Comments

• skinman
    skinman Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We have a line item in our lease dedicated to this. People are supposed to give 10 days notice in writing( I don't enforce it in writing, simply call so I can schedule it) and be out before the 1st. The unit must be completely empty, broom swept and the lock gone.
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We too have a line item in our lease.  I recently updated the lease to include they SIGN next to the statement they will give at least 14 day notice. 
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • ThriftyStorage
    ThriftyStorage Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    I just had this happen today. Tenant can not get access to the property, because he has been locked out. He comes into the office saying, " that he is moving out today." I told the gentleman that he needed to pay his bill. He moaned and groaned and ask if he could pay a $100.00 and clear out? To try to keep the peace and not have this guy running around telling God and his brother that this storage facility is screwed up, I took the $100.00 and told him that he needed to be out today!!!
  • skinman
    skinman Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You're much nicer than I am :D  
  • ThriftyStorage
    ThriftyStorage Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    Skinman, my softer side came back to bite me.
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When I got into the business I was like you Thrifty and trying to be the "good guy" in those situations. It took years for me to truly learn the lesson, and I was more firm as the years went on with how it was but even the ones that gave the best stories and I honestly felt were genuine would end up burning me. Now I don't care who/what/when/where/why, rules are rules. I've put up my own brother in law for auction because he didn't pay his bill on time. We can be friends with tenants, but when it has to do with the business it's all business.
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree.  Every time I try and be nice and understanding, I get burned about 90% of the time.  I'm still nice, and I still understand their problems; however, I don't give much yardage anymore when it comes to getting payment.  It is a business after all. 
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It is always the same... Tenants seem to have selective hearing when it comes to things like "giving notice" or "prorate" or even "grace period". I've found that theres no difference between verbally stating the rules or a tenant signed addendum stating the policies; they still make a scene like it's our fault. I've even handed a signed paper to a tenant, and he looked me straight in the eye and said "I don't care what I signed, you have to make an exception for me" 
  • skinman
    Options
    Absolutely true @teamcapitola. No matter how thorough I am with leases, someone tries to argue points concerning deposit refund, move outs, late fee date etc..... It's almost laughable at times.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads