Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SiteLink Support & Sales

Welcome to StorageForum!
If you're new take a look at the StorageForum Terms of Use and don't forget to check out Daily Dilbert!

Lock cutting

PrimePrime WARegistered User
Question for the masses here, how many of you charge for a lock cut and have your tenants attempted to do it themselves ? Were any of your tenants successful at cutting their own, or do you even allow them to do their own?

Comments

• OrkoceanOrkocean CARegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    $25 - Stated in lease. Case by case as far as enforcing or waiving the fee for me personally. Letting tenants do it themselves should not be allowed. What if they damage your door/latch in the process as they don't know what they are doing? A simple bolt cutter to a small padlock is one thing but if they're trying to cut a disc lock off themselves that's a whole different ball game. I've caught customers trying to bolt cut their own lock off before and what I always tell them is no customers are allowed to cut their own lock. It needs to go through the office so we are aware, otherwise we think you're out there trying to break in to units when we see you on camera trying to cut locks. 
  • CVSSSTORAGECVSSSTORAGE CARegistered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭
    We do $35 and no one can cut their own lock. Period. How would you feel if you rented somewhere and saw someone with bolt cutters in a storage? I would think it wasn't very secure. When a tenant says they cannot find their key and ask for a lock cut I let them know if they do not pay for a lock cut we will have to verify their key works next time they come in. They don't like it and get upset but hey I didn't lose your keys. 
  • i43storagei43storage WIRegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12
    We charge $25 to cut a lock off.  I would not allow my tenants to cut off their own lock (unless they are using a simple bolt cutter) because the chance of damaging the latch with a grinder is too great.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • skinmanskinman KSRegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    We only charge $20.. and do not allow customers to cut their own locks. 
  • jayjayjayjay TXRegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭✭
    $40 fee and must be prepared to re-lock unit before leaving.
  • ESSESS TXRegistered User ✭✭
    $25 fee if they have a disc lock. Has to be prepaid so I can send a work order to corporate for maintenance to come grind it off.  If it's a regular Master style lock, I will use my bolt cutters and not charge. Tenant's are not permitted to cut their own locks. After maintenance comes, if the tenant hasn't left a new lock with us, I just put an overlock and blue tamper tag on it until they can come.