New manager, Marketing help

I recently was promoted to Facility manager from assistant manager here at my facility in Texas. I feel as if I was never properly trained in the marketing department but they expect me to do it as if I am an expert. We are needing rentals and I am wondering if anyone could give me any tips and tricks in the marketing aspect of the job. 

Thank you!

Comments

• ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello and congrats on the promotion! You could try going to other businesses and dropping off coozies, pens, & business cards you guys have. Anything with your business name and number on it. You could create an online flyer to email the apartment complex managers, schools, realtors, etc. in your area. If they will let you do promotions, take the units you have the most of and offer deals on them, such as pay 3 months, get 3 months free then regular rate applies. I am in Texas as well, Alvin area...may I ask what area you are in?
  • ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
  • ESS
    edited November 2019
  • Briavantage
    Briavantage Registered User
    ESS said:
    Hello and congrats on the promotion! You could try going to other businesses and dropping off coozies, pens, & business cards you guys have. Anything with your business name and number on it. You could create an online flyer to email the apartment complex managers, schools, realtors, etc. in your area. If they will let you do promotions, take the units you have the most of and offer deals on them, such as pay 3 months, get 3 months free then regular rate applies. I am in Texas as well, Alvin area...may I ask what area you are in?
    Thank you! I am in Rowlett, which is in the Dallas area! I'm pretty shy when it comes to walking into new businesses, but i'm definitely going to have to break out of that shell for this position, lol. I posted a few ads on craigslist in hopes of it bringing some late month renters in, but nothing so far. Technically the facility has only officially been mine fore less than a week. An online flyer is a good idea, i'll have to work on that and send out some emails! 
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    All forms of online free marketing should be used, especially if the prior manager was not doing any. Facebook groups, craigslist, make sure your google listing is claimed and updated with proper pictures etc.. Go around and introduce yourself to the local businesses and try to build relationships to refer business, even other storage facilities. If you're part of a bigger company and not a one off ownership they SHOULD already have a marketing department handling your website and general online advertising so the grassroots is where you would need to focus. If you have a refer-a-friend program make sure every customer you talk to knows about it, and if you don't have one make it a suggestion. 
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭

EVERYTHING @Orkocean said....

Also contact every moving company in your area; introduce yourself and your company.

We get a ton of referrals from local movers.

We also get quite a few from real estate/property managers, but that can be a double edged sword; I've had real estate agents dump evicted tenants into a storage unit (after a house sells & they bribe the tenants to leave peacefully) which usually ends in emotional heartache and Auctions

• LaurenMannarelli
    LaurenMannarelli Registered User
    Congratulations on your promotion! So exciting, I am a Marketing Manager, I'd love to chat and see how I can help in terms of trips for you to be successful in your new role! Let me know :)
  • AKKathie
    AKKathie Registered User ✭✭✭
    Do you have feather flag banners outside? Your own webpage? A referral ($40/50/100) bonus to current customers? A good incentive move in bonus month(s) for new tenants? Real estate offices are great as most of our customers are selling one house and next one is not ready yet or apartment complexes where they don't have room to store their holiday decor. You want to aim for higher end tenants as opposed to low end/past due/lien sale tenants.
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    CVSSSTORAGE Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    if you have a college nearby it is a great idea to advertise there. During the summer they normally go back to their state and store their stuff so they don't have to move across country with it 
  • Cnash3245
    Cnash3245 Registered User
    we do the refer a friend. We have had a lot of people ask about it and sign up for it. We were about 50% full now we are hitting at about 90%.
    Colton Nash, Manager at Ideal Self Storage Ennis Texas
  • MrFugate
    MrFugate Registered User ✭✭✭
    we do the refer a friend also, Each customers gets a $20.00 credit towards the next full months rent. If you refer 6 people in theory you could have a $20.00 cheaper rent for 6 months.   
  • marylea1612
    marylea1612 Registered User
    We have a chain link fence that we put sayings on, we use the plastic snap in cups in different colors.
  • olivermason99
    olivermason99 Registered User
    i think Its a great opportunity for you to increase your learning...  
    I share knowledge about Self storage solutions
    And give Best opinions about cheap Storage
    I am Super Storage

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads