Guess which US city is losing residents faster than any other? You may be surprised...

Sue_C
Sue_C Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in Lifestyle General

No it's not New York, although that's a solid guess since NY has the #2 spot :)

Believe it or not, it's San Francisco! Read all about this trend in migration in this article from Business Insider: "San Francisco is losing more residents than any other city in the US, creating a shortage of U-Hauls that puts a rental at $2,000 just to move to Las Vegas"

Comments

• DeeL
    DeeL Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭
    I believe it, I've gotten one rental tenant that's from Northern California, and I do not doubt they will be the one and only. Welcome to Mesa, Arizona, we have a few spaces left.
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

I talk with the Uhaul rep here in Santa Cruz (bout an hour south from SF...right next to silicon valley)

Its been an ongoing problem; too many people are moving away. SO many in fact that corporate has to  "bribe" customers to return trucks to this area... U-Haul's business model has always relied on customers moving the trucks for them; they don't have people to deliver/move trucks to where they are needed. The outflow from northern California is so one-sided they are having a real tough time getting trucks for rentals.

Storage is so tight in our town, that I rent 10x10's for $280/month....and have a 6 month wait list! 

Considering that a 1 bedroom apartment rents for $2500 here....I don't blame them.

• karen700
    karen700 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    OMIGOSH!!
  • DeeL
    DeeL Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭
    I guess we are pretty lucky moving out of Los Angeles, when we did, but I do miss it, the way it use to be.
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭

I talk with the Uhaul rep here in Santa Cruz (bout an hour south from SF...right next to silicon valley)

Its been an ongoing problem; too many people are moving away. SO many in fact that corporate has to  "bribe" customers to return trucks to this area... U-Haul's business model has always relied on customers moving the trucks for them; they don't have people to deliver/move trucks to where they are needed. The outflow from northern California is so one-sided they are having a real tough time getting trucks for rentals.

Storage is so tight in our town, that I rent 10x10's for $280/month....and have a 6 month wait list! 

Considering that a 1 bedroom apartment rents for $2500 here....I don't blame them.

Having a wait list to me just means i'm not charging enough. Crank it up, you may get $350 or more even for those same units if that demand is that high. Eventually it'll die down or more competition will open to cover some of the need so get it while you can.
  • DeeL
    Good Thoughts, I will pass it on to the Owner.
  • Jeffweb2015
    Jeffweb2015 Registered User
    Wow!
  • Jeffweb2015
    Jeffweb2015 Registered User
    Wow!
  • Oren
    Oren Registered User
    I'm not surprised. Leftist policies over decades have just destroyed those places. It's heartbreaking to see.

It's happening here on Vancouver Island too. The west coast has been referred to as the "left coast" for a long time, and even though we are comparatively smaller relative to the USA, we are seeing the same problems here now too, and people are moving away as quick as they can. Right now there are no u-haul trailers available and a record low of trucks.
Was that you laughing?
Go ahead and LOL a post. Reactions are a fun and easy way to express your feelings!

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads