Military Tenants?

PSC
PSC Registered User ✭✭✭
Has anyone found away to show that someone is in the military in Sitelink?

Comments

• Climateguard
    Climateguard Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭
    We have a discount that we apply to military personnel that shows up in ledger settings once applied I also make a note in the Tenant Note section of their payment screen just as a reminder to me and my employees.
  • PSC
    PSC Registered User ✭✭✭
    Thank you! That's a great idea
  • ThriftyStorage
    ThriftyStorage Registered User ✭✭✭
    What I do is when a person claims to be in the military I request to see their and I make a copy. #2, there is a section in our lease that addresses this as well. #3, when I am processing a move-in I remark in the Company Section(Military).
  • MegumiM
    MegumiM Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭
    ThriftyStorage, you should stop making copies of the military ID. We used to make copies till one of our military tenants told us it is illegal to make a copy. We checked on the military website and confirmed this information to be true.
  • skinman
    skinman Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a separate addendum that military folks have to fill out and I make a note on their payment screen as @Climateguard does.
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's amazing how many military people do not even realize their ID's can't be copied. Numerous times they hand it over for their ID on file and I have to let them know.
  • Wendy
    Wendy Registered User
    18 USC, Part I, Chapter 33, Section 701 defines this prohibition. Photocopying military identification can subject a person to fines and imprisonment up to 6 months.  It is permissible to record the information from the military identification (name, address, date of birth, and taxpayer identification number), but it’s simply not permissible to photocopy it.
  • ThriftyStorage
    ThriftyStorage Registered User ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that info!!!
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭

Aside from the SCRA addendum/Waiver (Waiver of Service members Civil Relief Act Rights), we have a checkbox on our Rental Agreement for Active Military.  

We are not a Military town, so it has only come up twice in 6 years. Although I highly doubt the owners would ever auction an active service persons unit.

• Self_Storage_Life
    Self_Storage_Life Registered User ✭✭✭
    skinman said:
    We have a separate addendum that military folks have to fill out and I make a note on their payment screen as @Climateguard does.
    Would you mind sharing the addendum that you use?
  • AnitaJohnson1269
    AnitaJohnson1269 Registered User ✭✭✭✭
    @teamcapitola be careful with that waiver.  By law, it is only good if it is signed "after" they are active duty.  If they are Reserve or National Guard they are not "active duty" unless/until they are deployed for service.  It was designed for our reserve members (maybe a civilian doctor or electrician making good $) to not loose everything while serving our country.  I have seen a lot where the wife/girlfriend was left in charge of the finances and left them high and dry. It is, however, their responsibility to let you know if they have received orders for deployment. 
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    @teamcapitola be careful with that waiver.  By law, it is only good if it is signed "after" they are active duty.  If they are Reserve or National Guard they are not "active duty" unless/until they are deployed for service.  It was designed for our reserve members (maybe a civilian doctor or electrician making good $) to not loose everything while serving our country.  I have seen a lot where the wife/girlfriend was left in charge of the finances and left them high and dry. It is, however, their responsibility to let you know if they have received orders for deployment. 
    That is very good info!  I really never thought about that happening but makes total sense!

We are not in a military town (Monterey would be the closest base to us), so I've only encountered two active duty customers in 9 years.

Although knowing the owners here, they would never actually Auction a military tenant (They had me forgive/write off a veterans entire past due account previously)

I was also told by another facility to contact the branch if an active duty account is in lien; "letting their superior officer know about the debt usually takes care of the problem..."

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads