Texting/SMS Option.

GSS
GSS Registered User ✭✭✭
Curious, 

Do any of the companies you work for use the texting/SMS option? If so, what do you use it for? If you use it as a reminder to get payment in, do you see a big increase in on-time payments? 

Thanks, 

Comments

• Iamkathleen
    Iamkathleen Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭
    Yes, we do use the SMS option and I like it.  Tenants will often ignore a phone call but respond to a text.  Payment reminders what is mostly used.  We have seen more on time payments.  If the customer says they didn't know we can politely tell them when & what we texted them.
  • Storagelife
    Storagelife Registered User ✭✭
    I love this feature.  It make collections so much easy.  I like to use it as a  "Friendly Rent Reminder" on 5th day. and on the 9th day, It is called "Last Minute Rent Reminder".  Tenants appreciate the "Last Minute Rent Reminder" the most.
  • Faye
    Faye Registered User ✭✭✭✭
    What are you using for SMS? We currently using Twilio, Im wondering if they are all alike as far as set up goes
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    We use SMS a LOT and it really does help!
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • Naheed
    Naheed Registered User ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    We also use Twilio. Find it reasonably priced and pretty easy to set up with SiteLink.
    We use SMS for payment reminders, and sometimes for short random messages. The fact that it integrates with SiteLink means there's a record of the SMS in the customer's notes too.
  • Faye
    Naheed said:
    We also use Twilio. Find it reasonably priced and pretty easy to set up with SiteLink.
    We use SMS for payment reminders, and sometimes for short random messages. The fact that it integrates with SiteLink means there's a record of the SMS in the customer's notes too.

Our owners grandson set our Twilio up for SMS. I have glanced at it but it looks to me like writing code or something.
  • Faye
    There are so many things I would like to change or add in Twilio if possible.
  • Naheed
    Faye said:
    There are so many things I would like to change or add in Twilio if possible.
    I agree.  Sending SMS was the easiest thing I could do. Would love to use it for more, but agree it looks like you need to know how to code.
  • JamesF
    JamesF Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭
    Naheed said:
    What happens to anything they reply? I spoke to site link support and they said it doesn't deal with replies. 

I spoke to twilio support on this too and they were not particularly helpful either. Yes I can see replies in the twilio dashboard but, would prefer an easier way. Preferrably integrated with SiteLink. 

THanks
  • Naheed
    JamesF said:
    Naheed said:
    What happens to anything they reply? I spoke to site link support and they said it doesn't deal with replies. 

I spoke to twilio support on this too and they were not particularly helpful either. Yes I can see replies in the twilio dashboard but, would prefer an easier way. Preferrably integrated with SiteLink. 

THanks
    Hi James.  If I can, I usually add 'Do not reply to this text'.  I have no idea what happens if they reply.
  • JamesF
    Ok thanks, maybe I am overly concerned about getting replies. The setup for Twilio & sitelink was very easy but seems super lacking if you cant get any text back. Even "unsubscribe" or etc. 

FYI You should be able to see anything you've been sent in your Twilio dashboard, might be interesting to see who and what has texted you. 
  • Elizabeth_Babyak
    Elizabeth_Babyak Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified
    JamesF said:
    Naheed said:

THanks

Our SMS replies come directly to our property's email account for SiteLink. It's quite convenient.
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forget the name of it but my former company had a program that was designed by some of the former higher ups while they were there. It would do automated collection calls and text messages to customers, if they responded to the text it would populate into their account notes and on the reminder screen that you had a response. The caveat to the system was if you used it, you couldn't manually do phone calls the same day due to something in the collection regulations, we actually saw a rise in delinquency when we rolled it out originally as we relied solely on it. Once we convinced them to disable it 1 day a week so we could manually contact customers we started getting our numbers back to where they needed to be. 
  • JamesF
    edited August 2018
    Orkocean said:
    I forget the name of it but my former company had a program that was designed by some of the former higher ups while they were there. It would do automated collection calls and text messages to customers, if they responded to the text it would populate into their account notes and on the reminder screen that you had a response. The caveat to the system was if you used it, you couldn't manually do phone calls the same day due to something in the collection regulations, we actually saw a rise in delinquency when we rolled it out originally as we relied solely on it. Once we convinced them to disable it 1 day a week so we could manually contact customers we started getting our numbers back to where they needed to be. 
    Yes I have used a CRM similar to this in the past. It was called Statflo

JamesF said:
    Naheed said:

THanks

Our SMS replies come directly to our property's email account for SiteLink. It's quite convenient.
    Are you using twilio? IF not which provider are you using? Any idea how that might be set up? Thanks guys
  • Faye
    edited September 2018

Interesting! I'm going to see if I can figure out how to have the responses sent directly to our company e-mail. Currently I have to keep checking Twilio for responses. 
    I wonder if it is possible to use the Twilio number as a emergency number and have it forwarded to my personal cell phone. I don't think the company has ever had anything set up for tenant emergencies. This is something I have been wanting to do for many years. This might be my chance to get the owners to agree.

• Storagelife
    Storagelife Registered User ✭✭
    Do any of you add   text STOP to stop   at the end of every text message you send?
  • Faye
    We can only use 160 characters which also includes spaces. I do if I have room or I might just put "stop", but if I do not have enough room I do not.
  • Faye
    JamesF said:
    Ok thanks, maybe I am overly concerned about getting replies. The setup for Twilio & sitelink was very easy but seems super lacking if you cant get any text back. Even "unsubscribe" or etc. 

FYI You should be able to see anything you've been sent in your Twilio dashboard, might be interesting to see who and what has texted you. 
    You can check Twilio to see SMS responses and can set Twilio up to receive vm. 
  • Faye
    Does anyone know why the logs in Twilio are 4 hours off from the actually time we received a SMS or recording?
  • kenmore
    kenmore Registered User, myHub Certified ✭✭✭
    For anyone who has used either Twilio or SMS Resources for a while, what is your cost per text? I can't decipher it from their websites. What was the cost to implement? We have 3 sites, about 800 doors per site.
  • Naheed
    Faye said:
    Does anyone know why the logs in Twilio are 4 hours off from the actually time we received a SMS or recording?
    I am guessing it might be something to do with the time difference between where you are and where the Twilio servers are.
  • Faye
    Naheed said:
    Faye said:
    I am guessing it might be something to do with the time difference between where you are and where the Twilio servers are.
    I wish I knew how to fix it
  • Faye
    kenmore said:
    For anyone who has used either Twilio or SMS Resources for a while, what is your cost per text? I can't decipher it from their websites. What was the cost to implement? We have 3 sites, about 800 doors per site.
    I'm not sure the cost to implement but we pay per Text. The month of August I had 235 Outbound SMS total was $1.76, we had 10 inbound and it was $0.08 . We pay $1.50 a month for the Twillio phone number. Out total bill was $3.50 for the whole month of August.
  • joleap
    joleap Registered User
    Faye said:

Interesting! I'm going to see if I can figure out how to have the responses sent directly to our company e-mail. Currently I have to keep checking Twilio for responses. 
    I wonder if it is possible to use the Twilio number as a emergency number and have it forwarded to my personal cell phone. I don't think the company has ever had anything set up for tenant emergencies. This is something I have been wanting to do for many years. This might be my chance to get the owners to agree.

Faye, were you able to get more info about Emergencies? I use a texting system for rent reminders and I have used it a few times for emergencies but they are not really set up for that. I am looking for a text company that integrates with Sitelink, can send the reminders, allow tenants to pay from reminder, and be used to send out to 600 customers at one time for Emergency situations. Has anyone run across this? 
  • Faye
    joleap said:
    Faye said:

Faye, were you able to get more info about Emergencies? I use a texting system for rent reminders and I have used it a few times for emergencies but they are not really set up for that. I am looking for a text company that integrates with Sitelink, can send the reminders, allow tenants to pay from reminder, and be used to send out to 600 customers at one time for Emergency situations. Has anyone run across this? 
    You can forward calls and text messages from Twilio to another number. I'm not sure about sending out that many texts at once or the option to pay from the reminder text. I will look further into it and let you know if I come up with any answers.
  • kenmore
    We have been using SMS Resources for about a month, and we like it. It works just like email driven by the Past Due calendar, or manually using the Company/Forms option. SMS Resources also has the option to configure reply texts to be directed into our Tenant Notes files, with a a notification in the Reminders table that there is a pending reply. It all takes some setup, mostly the creation of the SMS messages, which can be stand alone or integrated with other printed or emailed letters or notices, so you can print, email, and text a message all at the same time. Since the limit on a text is 160 characters, there is a provision to "piggyback" a short text message onto a longer emailed or printed letter. Pretty slick in my opinion!
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    @kenmore - When did SMS Resources start directing the tenant's reply directly into their notes?
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • kenmore
    Not sure when that started, but it can be done now. It's called Custom Portal, and it takes a little configuration, with some information from us and some from SMS R. You also get a Reminder that a reply has been received, so you can click on it and go straight to the info.
  • kenmore
    Here's one for the masses: Is it possible to use SMS Resources to text a random message on the fly? i.e. In company/forms, choose a unit, choose an SMS form that lets you type in a short message, like "your refund check was returned as undeliverable - new address?"
  • i43storage
    kenmore said:
    Here's one for the masses: Is it possible to use SMS Resources to text a random message on the fly? i.e. In company/forms, choose a unit, choose an SMS form that lets you type in a short message, like "your refund check was returned as undeliverable - new address?"

I type random messages all the time - that is mostly what I use SMS for.  Just to into the tenant notes and click on SMS.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • kenmore
    Genius! I wish that was documented somewhere convenient. Just what I was looking for.
  • MattSM
    MattSM Registered User
    I have one account for all locations since when texting from sitelink, the reply will tell you where it came from.  We use it for automated collections - easy way to text say 25 people at one go to speed up that process.  We also use it when customers make reservations.  The day they made the reservation, 2 days before, the day of move in... Then we also use it to solicit for google reviews.  It's a great tool! Sitelink has vendors but I found who the backbone was and just went right to the actual supplier and saved money that way with more tools for no extra cost.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads