If a unit is sold at auction and rat feces/damage is found, can the buyer dispute the purchase?

So we had a recent auction and one of the units that was sold was found to have rodent damage.. The buyer is upset because not only was there a lot of garbage (papers, boxes) in the unit, but also rat feces. The buyer now wants their money back (after going though the unit for 4 days) and is threatening to call the health department since they are responsible for removing these 'contaminated' items. Is there a law or rule to this?

Answers

• JamesStorage
    JamesStorage Registered User ✭✭✭
    Check your state laws, but I don't think so. The health department really has no say here as far as I know, unless your facility also handles food? Generally with an auction, you are paying for the items "As-is" Damage and trash included. It's part of the process.
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    CVSSSTORAGE Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    You buy it as is including all the trash. You don't get to pick through it for 4 days and take what you want a say you don't want the trash due to rat droppings. As soon as you open a unit you can see signs of mice. Its normally visible right by where the door is. He has buyers remorse.  
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    You buy it. the good, the bad and the ugly.. That's what I used to say when I conducted auctions. They are responsible for removing all items from your facility. If not you keep their deposit and also ban them from future auctions for not following the rules. 
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep - that's why they created the deposit.   B)
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭

Far as I I've been told, if they bought it, it's theirs. ...whether it's gold bars or dead rodents.

Hey one man's rat feces is another man's treasure?

• janiceD
    janiceD Registered User
    wow.. thats a really good question! never thought of that before as we dont have auctions very often. so what end up happening with that buyer? 
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    CVSSSTORAGE Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    I am curious as to what happened with this as well

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads