Denial of access - Gate lockouts / overlocks question

Orkocean
Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
So another fun question for the Californians here as I found another forum talking about it but that was back in 2013 for the last post and I know laws change over time. I'm awaiting the owner to give me the login to the CSSA webpage so I can find some more official documents to go off of but what is your experience with denying access to customers upon being past due? I'm seeing that it appears to be illegal to fully deny access to the unit until the pre-lien letter has been sent after 14 days past due. I've seen some talk where operators play in the gray area and only do either the gate lockout or the overlock but not both so it's restricted access versus denial of access but I know people out here seem to be lawsuit happy. What's everyone elses take or opinions about how to proceed? 

Comments

• Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    And on a side note I have another item I can't find any clarification on the legality of. If a tenant has 2 units, past due on 1 but not the other can you deny access to all units until paid?

Working on remaking our leases and I want to make sure I remove anything that may cause problems from our old ones.
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭

@Orkocean - I would hunt down the California State Statue, hopefully it's online.  Our State's is very clear on what the rules are for delinquent tenants (they are in the storage owner's favor).  Hopefully you can gain access to your state's self storage association attorneys for clarification and/or your state statutes and they are clear after reading it fully.  Good luck!  B)

Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    CVSSSTORAGE Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    We do 15 days out just to be safe and we over lock the unit at 10 days late but if they come in we have to stand outside of the unit to allow them access to their things. We always tell them I am going to unlock it for you to grab what you need but I cannot allow you to empty the unit. We have not had any issues where someone tries to take big things, it is always something small like a jacket,fan or a small heater We allow them into their unit even if they are in lien. Once their lien expires we do not allow them in. I am not sure they exact time amount when you no longer have to let them in but we very rarely have people come in after they hit pre lien. They assume they can't get in.
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    CVSSSTORAGE Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    Did you ever get your answer?
  • Orkocean
    I found the legal answer.. and I got the owners answer... we'll be operating in the "gray" area" 
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orkocean said:
    I found the legal answer.. and I got the owners answer... we'll be operating in the "gray" area" 
    Outstanding.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads