Security and Locks. Please advise.

brownrooster
brownrooster Registered User ✭✭✭
A few months ago i began requiring everyone to have a disc lock as opposed to standard (sub-standard) locks.  To the degree that tenants pay attention to me and do not lie to me then ignore me, this has been fairly helpful at reducing break-ins.  However, after curbing things for a while, now these criminals are now just cutting my hasps.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this?  Is it cost effective and worth the expense and hassle?  Are there solutions that can be retro-fitted to improve security?

Thanks, y'all.
Tagged:

Comments

• ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Is your facility gated and requiring access codes for anyone entering? Do you have a camera system set up? Do you do after hours property checks? What other measures have you already taken?
  • themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    We changed to disk locks a few years ago, and we have had someone cutting our hasps, then placing the lock back in place to hide the cuts. We caught them on camera and started physically checking every lock on our daily checks. 

All I can recommend is good cameras to identify culprits, and increased security presence. Catching someone in the act is the only way to stop a determined thief. Individual door alarms also help, and can be retrofitted. We are currently installing them in our units. If a door opens and that tenant has not used their code at the entry gate, alarms sound and the computer tells us which door has opened.
  • BAAAAStorage
    BAAAAStorage Registered User
    I am not the greatest with the lingo for the equipment we use. We require a disc lock (we work it into our administrative fee) but I have also seen some tenants putting  a hollow tube around the latch that goes into the wall of the storage unit. When I spoke to one of the tenants that uses it, he said it was a treated metal and bolt cutters had a hard time getting through them. 
  • Drew_Scadoo
    Drew_Scadoo Registered User ✭✭✭
    You put a bullet in one of them trespassing and that should scare there friends away. 
  • Clyde_Lord_Jr
    Clyde_Lord_Jr Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭

Something similar to this may slow them down.

https://www.allfrom1supply.com/disc-lock-security-insert.html

• i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭

Something similar to this may slow them down.

https://www.allfrom1supply.com/disc-lock-security-insert.html

What will they think of next ...
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • JamesStorage
    JamesStorage Registered User ✭✭✭
    @Clyde_Lord_Jr That device seems almost unnecessary. Generally there's so little space between the latch and bolt that it's almost impossible to get bolt cutters in there. We have to grind our disc locks off whenever we have to cut them. If they're expert enough to just pop it off, then something like that probably won't slow them down
  • Clyde_Lord_Jr
    Clyde_Lord_Jr Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭
    I was thinking something similar if you said they are cutting the hasps. However, if they want it bad enough....
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    All locks are just a deterrent, as @Clyde_Lord_Jr said, if someone wants in bad enough they will find a way. If they can't get thru the locks/hasps and they want in they could always just kick in the bottom corners of a door and knock it loose from the rails to access.  
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    CVSSSTORAGE Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    @Orkocean we had someone go through the back of a unit. He removed a bolt at the bottom and just peeled back the metal. Once inside he cut through like 10 units and just went through everyones stuff and slept in some guys rv. No telling how long this went on.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads