Receipt problems - Sitelink can't do this - Prove me wrong

JamesF
JamesF Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭
I want to create a damage & repair charge...and need to produce a receipt for the payment.

The catch is, they are not a tenant.  I am not willing to fudge my move-in and move-out numbers (by bouncing them in and out of a unit) in order to make this happen. 

I keep telling my accountant that Sitelink just can't deal with anyone who might well be a customer, but NOT a tenant. And I can't process a payment like this. He just can not believe that it is impossible. So maybe it's possible to do this...prove me wrong. 

(or if you know a way to make someone 'primary' without actually moving them in and out of a unit, like shift-control-zyw or whatever, I would love to know it)

JF

Comments

• ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe add it as an item in your merchandise and do it as a walk in sale? You could always export the receipt and add his name and info 
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    CVSSSTORAGE Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    I was going to suggest what @ESS said that is the easiest way
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could add that charge as a merchandise item, make it non-taxable.  Then you can do a walk in POS purchase, add that merchandise, and print a receipt when they pay.  

There still wouldn't be a customer name on the receipt, but at least it would have an accounting.

The other option, which I have used, is to add the charge to a company unit and process it through there, making a note at the same time who and what it was for.
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    ESS said:
    Maybe add it as an item in your merchandise and do it as a walk in sale? You could always export the receipt and add his name and info 

I second the "ESS Method" this will allow you to create charges (and receipts) to a "walk in POS" instead of a tenant.

Just ask your accountant how they want the charge setup (and what"bucket" it should go to) setup a new merch item as "labor" or "repair" etc.

The trick with Sitelink is to find/create these little loopholes to "bend" the software to what you need it to do. Trust me there's a WEALTH of tips and tricks on this forum to accomplish almost anything you could come up with!

• JamesF
    edited November 2019
    I had the same thought process with the Fake Merchandise approach.. In fact that was the first solution I tried but it is highly inadequate because:

1-Merchandise can only have 'Merchandise Income' and 'Retail Sales Revenue' GL codes when you create an item. Therefore I am allocating the income to the wrong ledger. 
    2-There is no way to later on look up the customer information unless you keep a copy (outside sitelink, like maybe a printed copy in a book or a file on your computer).
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    JamesF said:
    I had the same thought process with the Fake Merchandise approach.. In fact that was the first solution I tried but it is highly inadequate because:

1-Merchandise can only have 'Merchandise Income' and 'Retail Sales Revenue' GL codes when you create an item. Therefore I am allocating the income to the wrong ledger. 
    2-There is no way to later on look up the customer information unless you keep a copy (outside sitelink, like maybe a printed copy in a book or a file on your computer).

on a limb here....

I guess you could create a "dummy" unit at zero dollars rent, with like 1 sq. ft. of space (so as not to screw with other numbers). then "rent it" in order to create a searchable customer, receipts etc.

Move out when done? Then you would always be able to find those customers under that unit number sorted by date.

a lot of work though.

• JamesF
    edited November 2019

on a limb here....

I guess you could create a "dummy" unit at zero dollars rent, with like 1 sq. ft. of space (so as not to screw with other numbers). then "rent it" in order to create a searchable customer, receipts etc.

Move out when done? Then you would always be able to find those customers under that unit number sorted by date.

a lot of work though.

No you are totally right you can do it this way and it's honestly not even a lot of work. I can click through a move in process in like 15 seconds so it's transparant to the customer what's going on here, but unfortuanely this wildly skews some serious KPI that are vital to be organization so it is not a viable solution.

The action of moving in a customer, grants them "primary tenant" status. You can only create charges for "primary tenants". If I can find a way around that restriction then I'm good to go. 

I also tried doing it by creating them as a tenant, granting them access to a house unit, trying to fudge the system into thinking they were primary tenants but it didn't work.

To be perfectly clear, I want to be able to sell services that are ancillary to my core storage business, to repeat customers, assign the revenue to specific GL codes, and track those transactions.

• Eric_Lewis
    Eric_Lewis Registered Moderator, Community Manager, SiteLink Tech Support, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified marketplace moderator
    Thanks everyone for the insightful information you have provided. SiteLink is not designed to collect money other than current/past tenants and walk in merchandise purchases. The processes described by several forum users on this topic is the best options based on the software design. 
  • ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    JamesF said:

on a limb here....

a lot of work though.

Great idea!
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    So here's an out on a limb method that popped into my head while reading these. I personally would use a company unit and just edit the form before printing to change the tenant info buuuuut maybe there's another way? I havn't been somewhere that we do paid reservations in quite awhile and didn't bother testing one to see how it might look but in theory couldn't you just put this customer in lead to lease real quick, put in whatever the charge is as a reservation fee and get a receipt that way which would show their info? The only thing i'd test out first is to see if you can alter the reservation charge to read as a different titled charge on that receipt. It wouldn't skew your move in/move out numbers although it would skew your number of leads.
  • Jeffrey_Buller
    Jeffrey_Buller Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭
    Actually do it as a 0x1 ft unit that way it doesnt mess with your $ per Sq Ft numbers.

• JulieAton
    JulieAton Registered User ✭✭✭
    Create an Inventory Item. Company-Setup-Inventory Setup.  In creating the item "Labor" or whatever you select the GL account linked to the item.  Do you need a receipt with the customer name?  If so dummy one in Word or something. 

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads