Warning Flags

So I've only been Manager for a few months, and I was wondering what warning flags you all have seen when a tenant then gave you trouble. What are also the preventative measures to keep them away, or how did you deal with them afterwards? What solutions did you come up with to protect yourself and your customers?

Comments

• themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest one we get is "I want to rent this for someone else". We explain that whomever signs the rental agreement is the one who gets in trouble, but they usually do it anyway, and regret it a few months down the road.

Of course, if they come in drunk, in a big hurry, or distraught, it might be best to have them come back another time.
  • JEFFRY
    JEFFRY Registered User ✭✭✭
    I had a guy come in wanting to store his vehicle because it was getting vandalized, yet the car was fine, a few months later he calls claiming that the people who were vandalizing his car found out where he stores his car and are vandalizing it again, which there was no proof of video wise or car damage wise. a big clue is if they are not willing to put their credit card on file, or they want to put another persons card on file which is a big no unless the other person signs the proper paperwork. there are many signs that a customer could be trouble, but always trust your gut feeling.
  • JEFFRY
    JEFFRY Registered User ✭✭✭
    also be wary of people asking too many questions about security, never give out specific information about it.
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    So there's a number of red flags that could present themselves. Different area's have specific issues they might be more cautious of such as homeless living in units, break ins, using units for other purposes. I don't care if you come to me telling me you "know you need a 10x10", i'm going to ask you the same routine questions. What are you storing, for how long, moving or just clearing out some extra stuff. Anyone who does not want to answer questions easily is a red flag to me.

I try not to judge a book by their cover but in most cases, if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck. If they walk in, red flag *I know some areas it's more common but not in my areas*.

We have a high homeless issue and drug user issue here in my area so certain people have that *look* about them that screams what they are so that's an obvious red flag.

Filling out my info sheet and try to provide as little information as possible even after I ask again? Red Flag

Having a look that borders on sketchy and then asking about security and access hours in depth? Red Flag.

Attitude? To some that's a red flag, to me as long as you're not being outright abusive to me I let it go in one ear and out the other and just keep on with the process. People go through stressful times which cause the need for storage and sometimes it gets the better of them. I've been threatened to be punched for asking my routine questions, by the time we were done the guy was apologizing profusely for how he had acted at the get go. 

These are just some of the red flags new customers can present. There's also the red flags to watch for with existing customers.

When I first get in every morning I look over my gate log for late entries without exits or attempts to come in after hours. Also keep an eye out for those that enter and don't exit for extended periods of time. Another big no no is if I see you go to your unit and close your door behind you as you're in it, even if just halfway. If you're in the unit your door is open, plain and simple. If you have a good camera system make sure you actually pay attention to it and don't only check it when an issue happens. If you have a customer in section A come on property but you see them roaming section C, something is off.
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭

Digging out quarters to pay for the first month's rent?  Red Flag
    Not having a working phone?  Red Flag
    Driving to your facility and then stating they do not have a driver's license?  Priceless.

Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭

Not having a working phone?  Red Flag

That's a deal-breaker here.  No phone for me to reach you - no storage for you!
  • LADYLIFT1
    LADYLIFT1 Registered User ✭✭✭
    SHOWING UP ON A BIKE    USUALLY HOMESLESS
  • Faye
    Faye Registered User ✭✭✭✭
    LADYLIFT1 said:
    SHOWING UP ON A BIKE    USUALLY HOMESLESS
    I have a few tenants that don't drive and ride bikes or mopeds. They are actually good paying tenants.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads