Returning locks and keys at move out?

Options
rmason
rmason Registered User ✭✭✭

We require the tenant purchase a cylinder lock w/keys (Chateau C481-6) at move in.  If the tenant does not want to keep them at move out, we request they return them when completing the move out process in the office.  We get a higher success rate in getting the keys returned while the lock remains in the unit door.  Looking for a method to incentivize the customer to return both lock and keys.  Suggestions!!

Comments

• MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you charge a lock/key deposit at move-in, they are much more likely to return them at move-out.  However, I think that's more hassle than it's worth to get some keys returned.
  • ACorona
    ACorona Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭
    Options
    You could put signage on interior hall doors (the doors that lead in and out of the building) and throughout the property to remind people to return both. 
    Alyssa Corona
    www.rentess.com
  • rmason
    Options
    MamaDuke7 - That's what I thought also.  Too much hassle with little return.
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am going to assume that you already take a security deposit.  If so, I would simply keep a portion of their security deposit if they did not return the keys/lock.  Similar to a clean-up charge if they left garbage behind.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • rmason
    Options
    i43storage, Owner does not take a security deposit.  Agree with your solution if we did.  Maybe in 2021 things will change.  :)
  • GSI03
    GSI03 Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    We require the tenant to buy a lock from us, or supply their own.  Once they buy it they own it.  No deposit=no hassle.    If they leave the lock on the unit, we go through the collection and possibly auction process.   
  • Storageinasnapp
    Storageinasnapp Registered User ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Options
    We have a $25.00 Security Deposit due at lease signing (with 1st months rent)
    When done with Unit, they are to move out Before next Due date (0 balance), Empty & sweep out Unit, Return the lock with the keys to our Office. (Cylinder has 3, Disc has 2)
    If they do not do the above, or are missing a key, the Deposit is Forfeited.
    If they do all the above, once we verify Unit is cleaned properly, we mail them a check.  (no cash!)
    We find this works quite well with $25.00 security Deposit.
    Previously the Deposit was $15, but that didn't get as much response as $25.00 did.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads