Workflow changes after Sitelink Update

Options
teamcapitola
teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be very helpful if Sitelink would warn us about updates that change workflow BEFORE the update. Todays 06-22 update seems to have changed manually entering Credit Cards.

Now a new pop-up box appears that requires ALL AVS information to be entered before running a card. We have a lot of tenants make payments over the phone, so suddenly having to enter a bunch of new information is a huge pain. I get that we want security, but  really?!?

Comments

• NM575
    NM575 Registered User
    Options
    Now that we cannot choose a different credit card payment processor, we are obligated to accept any changes they want to make without any input from us the users. 
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you click where it says Autofill with tenant Address, it will fill it in for you.  

I got a list of 200 that need AVS added for the autopays. So that's my fun for the day!

@storable_support I'm concerned that it's saving the CVV, though, because my understanding is that it's not legal to save that info.  That has always been my training.
  • storable_support
    storable_support Registered User, Registered Moderator, Community Manager ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi, @teamcapitola. We sent an email to all Storable Payment users about this release two weeks ago; it's linked here, for your reference. We wanted to give everyone a heads-up and avoid issues like you experienced today. I will work with my counterparts to verify that you're on this list and will receive all future emails. Please look for my follow-up to this via private message. Additionally, full details about this new feature are available in our release notes on this forum.

Hi, @NM575. We absolutely want your feedback! Please consider becoming one of our official feedback partners here. With your help and the help of other great customers like you, we can continue to enhance our products to fit your needs.

In fact, today's Storable Payments update is (in part) from such feedback. 
    Customers let us know that they were seeing more declines than usual and we learned banks are less likely to decline transactions when you include this info. We're hopeful that this change will help save operators time and money, and regret any inconveniences. 

Sincerely, Amy C.

• teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I did recieve an email. It wasn't the email you are describing however.

The email I received on June 14th had a link to the following in regards to the Release notes /update:

"June 22, 2021

Infrastructure improvements

We’ve made infrastructure improvements that will help updates run more smoothly when they’re released.

Slow load times

We fixed an issue that was causing slow load times for SiteLink Web Edition for some customers. "

The link went to these 2 paragraphs and had nothing about AVS in it. 

Now, the email you just sent me now goes to a different spot with nice explanations and screen captures showcasing the new AVS protocols

I also just saw the new bulletin board entry in Sitelink linking to the new information as well.,.

I give up

• Imbus
    Imbus Registered User ✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Another dumb update by sitelink. Great idea!!!!! Why don't you start having polls before launching updates that effect managers and see if this is something people want. NO OTHER CREDIT PROCCESSORS HAS REQUIRE CVV CODES OR AVS SINCE 2011 AND I KNOW IF YOU GUY WOULD ALLOW THIRD PARTY CC PROCESSOR THEY STILL WOULDN'T CARE ABOUT ENTERING THESE 2 ISSSUE. You have a great product or maybe did but if you guys don't start listening to your customers, people are going to start looking else where. Most of the storable payments setting that have change since you guy took over have been stupid and have been change back because of us complaining. 
  • NM575
    NM575 Registered User
    Options
    I can understand SiteLink trying to improve by addressing issues that some site managers are having with CC payments being declined. But, not all of us are having those issues. The credit card input clearly states "Optional - AVS". You have made it "required". Let us managers decide. At the very least, you could have provided a batch process script, I spent most of my day updating all the AVS, one at a time!
  • storable_support
    storable_support Registered User, Registered Moderator, Community Manager ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi, @MamaDuke7. Your training has been spot-on! We don't store CVV numbers; they're just used to run one-time pre-authorizations. Starting to collect this information for autopays is great and it will greatly help reduce your risk of declines. However, in the interest of your time, please note that all auto-bill payments will process without the missing AVS info. It isn't a requirement that you do this, like all SLWE reminders, they are suggestions aligned with industry best practices. We sincerely apologize if this wasn't clear and if you lost time today.

I wanted to take some time to clarify how we communicated these updates via email. The email sent on 6/9 with the subject line "Coming soon to Storable Payments" came from merchantsupport@sitelink.com and contained all info regarding this release. 

The email that @teamcapitola shared above came from support@sitelink.com on 6/14 with the subject line "Reminder: A SiteLink update will take place tomorrow" -- it's easy to see how confusing this is and we are discussing how to communicate more effectively with our valued customers. We are very sorry.

@NM575, thank you for your comments and for providing us with this opportunity to explain further. This info is only required when one-time payments without a card swipe are made or when a brand new card is entered. 

From our release notes: "You will still be able to process Auto-Bill payments without the customer’s Billing Address however, collecting that information helps reduce decline rates. We have created a report in SiteLink Web Edition to let you know which Auto-Bill customers are missing a Billing Address on file. You will see a reminder called Missing AVS Information directing you to this new report. Tenants will be removed from the list as you collect and enter their billing address."

We acknowledge that changes to required fields and new reminders can be cumbersome at first and we'll use your feedback to determine how we can communicate changes better and more clearly in the future.
  • Imbus
    Imbus Registered User ✭✭
    Options
    Great idea why don't you have a check box in setup that let us decide if we care about the avs. My Managers hate that now theirs a avs mismatch under reminders that they will have to ignore now because we don't care about address and if they are correct or not. It is up to the tenant to let us know if their address is correct or not. 
  • Climateguard
    Climateguard Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭
    Options
    Will be looking for another provider soon.

If you guys need work security I can definitely put you to work.
  • ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not seeing anything different after the update. Is this only for those locked into SL card processer? We still use Sage and it's always prompted for AVS. If the card is already on file it will autofill it, but if they walk-in to pay, it is empty and I verify billing address is same as one on file and hit Auto-Fill.
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ESS said:
    I'm not seeing anything different after the update. Is this only for those locked into SL card processer? We still use Sage and it's always prompted for AVS. If the card is already on file it will autofill it, but if they walk-in to pay, it is empty and I verify billing address is same as one on file and hit Auto-Fill.
    Yes, it's just for those using Storable Payments.
  • MisterE
    MisterE Registered User
    Options
    Anyone have any recco's on a credit card reader? I think its a bit silly that our customers that come in to buy merch. are now required to give out their address in order to make purchases. 
  • GSI03
    GSI03 Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    Imbus said:
    Great idea why don't you have a check box in setup that let us decide if we care about the avs. My Managers hate that now theirs a avs mismatch under reminders that they will have to ignore now because we don't care about address and if they are correct or not. It is up to the tenant to let us know if their address is correct or not. 
    If you have the correct address info and AVS # when the payment is taken, the credit card companies charge a lower percentage because there is a smaller chance of it being a fraudulent charge.
  • Imbus
    Imbus Registered User ✭✭
    Options
    I don't care about the charge!!!!!!!!! Let the companies decide if they want to save money on this feature.
  • NM575
    NM575 Registered User
    Options
    I agree with ImBus, let the managers decide if we want to implement any of these new features. You guys are doing a great job, but, do not force these changes on us for our own good!
  • themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To be fair, Sitelink is trying to be fully PCI compliant. I realize that many operations don't want the hassle or expense of being PCI compliant, but most if not all of the credit card processors are going to start requiring it before too long.

If you don't care about the fees for something like a merchandise sale, I think you can put almost anything in the address and the payment will still go through, just with the result that the address doesn't match.

There are cards that still don't support AVS, so they will always come back as not supported or no match. I know of several businesses around here that simply will not accept those cards any more (many are prepaid cards, but some online banking cards also have the issue).
  • teamcapitola
    Options
    themage said:
    To be fair, Sitelink is trying to be fully PCI compliant. I realize that many operations don't want the hassle or expense of being PCI compliant, but most if not all of the credit card processors are going to start requiring it before too long.

If you don't care about the fees for something like a merchandise sale, I think you can put almost anything in the address and the payment will still go through, just with the result that the address doesn't match.

There are cards that still don't support AVS, so they will always come back as not supported or no match. I know of several businesses around here that simply will not accept those cards any more (many are prepaid cards, but some online banking cards also have the issue)

How many users are really experiencing higher decline rates due to AVS information? In my decades of retail management I've never had a declined card suddenly become approved simply by adding address information. Nor have I experienced any difference in approval rates over the last 10 years (if anything I've noticed a lot more fraud/replaced cards since the Chip was introduced, but that's a whole different thing). 

I don't have a problem becoming 100% PCI DSS compliant. I at least understand that over this disingenuous "its to help you because we listen you YOU" reason! 

I guess I just don't like the current patronizing atmosphere from Sitelink; I'm feeling the corporate "they're just children" attitude with every update and explanation.

We are charged a flat % rate (plus change) for each transaction using Sitelink Payment processing....Unlike traditional processors (using arcane fee %'s based on types of card  etc... which was always confusing as hell) Those payment processors have always charged additional fees if your business wasn't fully PCI DSS compliant (or you could get a discount if you were certified as compliant).

Guess it could be worse now that we are required to use storable payment (in order to continue using Sitelink)….they could just start adding A GIZILLION fees a la Door Dash & Uber!  "Announcing our latest update... "Surge" pricing for Credit Card payments during busy times of the day...because users have said it takes longer to complete transactions during those times"  :)

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads