E-sign receipts / Chargebacks

Options
I'm a long-time user of SiteLink; before Storable, before Web Edition... long time (since 1999 I believe). Technology has allowed for immeasurable advances in paperless transactions, convenient and green payment and rental processes. Yet Storable lacks one significant feature that is costing us thousands of dollars annually: Portable e-sign receipts. This should have been the FIRST document they made e-sign friendly and then integrated into online rentals and online bill pay. At minimum, have the ability to email a receipt with a required signature line embedded in the document. In the same way any custom form can be created to do this, leases, insurance sign up forms, autopay forms, etc. Receipts? NOPE. So instead of being the very first document, instead it remains the very LAST document yet to exist. Yes, a customer that walks into the office can e-sign the receipt with a signature pad. That is the only way to capture an e-signature on a receipt. However, the majority of payments today are done by phone, online, or via autopay. CHARGEBACKS, however, require one thing to combat as a business owner... a SIGNATURE ON THE RECEIPT!!

We can't simply stop accepting credit card payments unless in person, as that takes us back 20 years in payment inconvenience. Yet as an operator I should not be expected to absorb all of the risk because our management software (STORABLE) will not provide the required tools to protect me in this way. 

I've opened multiple tickets, all closed with "thanks for the request"... have escalated this to as many Storable employees in engineering and development as would listen, for nearly two years now, still to no avail. !?

Perhaps starting a discussion here will further the cause. Anyone else losing money to chargebacks because an online payment, or autopay recurring payment, or pay-by-phone credit card payment was 'charged back' and your company lost because a signature was missing on the receipt?

Comments

• ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options
    We're disputing an autopay chargeback, currently. However, I have the tenant's signature on the autopay form along with previous signed receipts when she used the same card in-store. She's admitted it was a mistake on her part.

If they set it up online and/or pay online: Our system captures their IP address so that could be documented along with previous IP address used to access the site; along with the printout we receive via email stating they did it themselves.
    Having them e-sign a receipt would be an awesome idea, tho. 
  • themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The captured IP should be almost as good as a signature for online and autopay (both of which you should already have a signed agreement for, authorizing the payment method) We have had no problem dealing with chargebacks in these cases.

The problem with e-sign receipts is what do you do when the receipt never gets signed? Reverse it? How long will you wait? Is your staff going to call everyone who just never signs the receipts? That seems more expensive to me, but I could be wrong.

There is just no good way to get signatures for phone transactions. You could (depending on the laws in your state) record phone transactions. Or maybe have your customers agree on your rental form that they are authorizing telephone transactions with their signature on the form.
  • ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    themage said:

There is just no good way to get signatures for phone transactions. You could (depending on the laws in your state) record phone transactions. Or maybe have your customers agree on your rental form that they are authorizing telephone transactions with their signature on the form.
    This is why we only allow phone payments if the tenant has a signed authorization on file already for that card. If they need to change it or use a different card, they need to email us from the one on file with the new card info. 

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads