Lien attendance

Options
Good morning,
Quick question for you.
When conducting an auction do any of you allow the tenant themselves to be present during the auction or are they made to stay off the premises?
Thank you.

Comments

• MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Since it is a public auction, unless they are creating a problem, you can't legally deny them being there.  Usually the crowd will catch on to the fact that they are the owner of the space and they'll purposely drive up the price for you!

However, now I only do my auctions online.  And I have no control over who can bid there.  But that's fine.  If they're the highest bidder, then they get their stuff back.  But they still have to remove it all.  And I can still send them to collections for the balance due after auction.
  • dperry
    dperry Registered User ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you. It was our impression that tenants who were in lien were not able to be on the premises when the unit is being auctioned. 
  • BusyProperties
    BusyProperties Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    I think it is weird that they would be there if they didn't bother paying their bill to begin with. I would be worried about them making a scene to get their items from the one that wins the bid :/ 
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think it is weird that they would be there if they didn't bother paying their bill to begin with. I would be worried about them making a scene to get their items from the one that wins the bid :/ 
    I had one that did that once years ago.  Sobbing and begging, etc.  I made her leave because she was disrupting the whole auction.  She did NOT have the winning bid!
  • AnitaJohnson1269
    AnitaJohnson1269 Registered User ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I had a tenant show up with her 5yr old.  Little boy ran into the unit, when opened, and started grabbing and loving on his toys! "Sayin "My bear", My bike", etc.  The first bid was $1 and no one would bid against him (a regular) and he gave the mom all of her things back.  We do online auctions now!
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Our Auctioneer said that they allow the tenant to attend and bid, however they announce to the room that the tenant is present and bidding. Generally, that makes everyone else bid higher; I've never had a tenant "win" their unit at auction.

If the tenant is causing a scene, they are "asked" to leave the property. 

@anitajohnson1269 .... I don't even know what I would do in that situation!!!  What an awful thing for a parent to do!  

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads