Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SiteLink Support & Sales

Welcome to StorageForum!
If you're new take a look at the StorageForum Terms of Use and don't forget to check out Daily Dilbert!

What questions do you ask a prospective tenant when they call to rent a unit?

holly_fiorelloholly_fiorello NACallPotential Moderator
 Does your facility use a script card to answer calls or do you just wing it? 

Comments

• ThriftyStorageThriftyStorage NARegistered User ✭✭✭
    If you know your product you should be able to speak to a perspective tenant without a script.
  • DocDoc TNRegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭
    Most companies have a "script" that they would like the manager to follow simply because it is a good reminder of your particular points you want to incorporate into the conversation. I totally agree with Thrifty Storage knowing your product, if you don't, no script is going to help. Every prospect is different and there or inquiring for their own reasons. You need to find out what that is, how you can help them and make them believe you are the best place with the best people to accomplish that. Conversations don't follow scripts but your script can assist you with guiding your conversation along the most positive route.
    ;) Let your efforts rise above your excuses  
  • PhilRPhilR New ZealandRegistered User ✭✭
    We have a script card but we also tailor a storage solution for a tenant. The script card is really only there so we don't forget to cover stuff. 
    I believe that when you are courteous and sincere when you talk with a potential tenant that goes a long way. I have rented units and did not mention one security feature other than I live on-site. there is no one size fits all approach when you are dealing people from all walks of life, but you better be nice!!!!
    I use to sale cars and I was told this one day," when a person comes to a car lot on a rainy day, they are serious." When a person comes to your facility, they are serious!
  • OrkoceanOrkocean TXRegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly Thrifty... now there is always an exception as once in a blue moon you do get the people who come in to see about storage who are "thinking" ahead for something 6months or farther down the road but pretty much anytime someone comes in your office you better assume the sale. I used to tell my trainee's if you take your time, do your tour, educate the customer and DON'T get the rental all you did was make the next facilities job that much easier.

I was always the "soft sale" car salesman, being able to transfer that into storage has been a great way of closing deals with customers without having to give away the house.

• DarinAMDarinAM MTRegistered User
    I love this job, better than selling cars, they want what you got,smile and make them feel special! Works for me.

How can I help you???

• OrkoceanOrkocean TXRegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean we're not supposed to answer the phone "what do you want, i'm busy!" LOL
  • AZStorageGuyAZStorageGuy AZRegistered User ✭✭✭
    We have a canned greeting. Then we switch into interview mode. Friendly but thorough.

You can use the old newspaper reporter formula: Who, What, Where, When, Why, How.

Not always in the same order:
    1. What will you be storing?
    2. When will you need your space?
    3. Have you ever stored before?
    4. Who will it be for? (usually the caller but often a family member)
    5. How did you hear about us?
    6. Would our free truck move-in special be of interest to you?
    7. You want fries with that?

Scratch #7. :D
    can you tell me about how many rooms does what you plan to store add up two? Three, four and so no!!!!
  • ClimateguardClimateguard ALRegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭
    I have been in the storage industry for 10+ years now and some of the best methods for customer service that has served us well is simply talking to the customer like they are a good friend, right off the bat, whether that is a phone call or walk-in. Once a rapport is established then we will ask them what they are storing or about how many bedrooms they would be storing, etc. Then try up-selling merchandise like boxes and tape maybe even a rental truck for their move. I have trained my employees to run the facility as if it was theirs and with integrity. It has worked well and makes folks want to keep coming back to us. :)
  • jcattjcatt CTRegistered User
    @AZStorageGuy to add to your list, since we offer both non-temp controlled and temp controlled storage units, I ask that question as well.
  • bbarnettbbarnett ILRegistered User
    I always always always be as courteous as possible.  I listen and then ask my questions of what size are they planning on.  I will ask the typical questions of how many rooms, and size of furniture, if they have antiques and valuable items such as paintings.  Then I usually try and have them go with either climate control for valuables or a larger unit, so they have room to organize.  Making sure that the customer feels that you will do whatever you can to help them is a big selling point at our location.  Me being on site 24/7 helps and assures the customers as well.
  • i43storagei43storage WIRegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭
    So many of my calls are, "I have a uHaul loaded right now that needs to be returned tonight and I need a unit."  So ... it doesn't take much "selling" on my part.  B)
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage