What questions do you ask a prospective tenant when they call to rent a unit?

holly_fiorello
holly_fiorello CallPotential Moderator ✭✭
 Does your facility use a script card to answer calls or do you just wing it? 

Comments

• PhilR
    PhilR Registered User ✭✭
    We have a script card but we also tailor a storage solution for a tenant. The script card is really only there so we don't forget to cover stuff. 
    Phil Rankin
    Site Manager
    Guardian Secure Storage Tauranga
    phil@guardianstorage.co.nz

• ThriftyStorage
    ThriftyStorage Registered User ✭✭✭
    I believe that when you are courteous and sincere when you talk with a potential tenant that goes a long way. I have rented units and did not mention one security feature other than I live on-site. there is no one size fits all approach when you are dealing people from all walks of life, but you better be nice!!!!
  • ThriftyStorage
    I use to sale cars and I was told this one day," when a person comes to a car lot on a rainy day, they are serious." When a person comes to your facility, they are serious!
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly Thrifty... now there is always an exception as once in a blue moon you do get the people who come in to see about storage who are "thinking" ahead for something 6months or farther down the road but pretty much anytime someone comes in your office you better assume the sale. I used to tell my trainee's if you take your time, do your tour, educate the customer and DON'T get the rental all you did was make the next facilities job that much easier.

I was always the "soft sale" car salesman, being able to transfer that into storage has been a great way of closing deals with customers without having to give away the house.

• DarinAM
    DarinAM Registered User
    I love this job, better than selling cars, they want what you got,smile and make them feel special! Works for me.
  • ThriftyStorage

How can I help you???

• ThriftyStorage
    can you tell me about how many rooms does what you plan to store add up two? Three, four and so no!!!!
  • jcatt
    jcatt Registered User
    @AZStorageGuy to add to your list, since we offer both non-temp controlled and temp controlled storage units, I ask that question as well.
  • bbarnett
    bbarnett Registered User
    I always always always be as courteous as possible.  I listen and then ask my questions of what size are they planning on.  I will ask the typical questions of how many rooms, and size of furniture, if they have antiques and valuable items such as paintings.  Then I usually try and have them go with either climate control for valuables or a larger unit, so they have room to organize.  Making sure that the customer feels that you will do whatever you can to help them is a big selling point at our location.  Me being on site 24/7 helps and assures the customers as well.
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many of my calls are, "I have a uHaul loaded right now that needs to be returned tonight and I need a unit."  So ... it doesn't take much "selling" on my part.  B)
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • tonyja26
    tonyja26 Registered User

Some people are just natural at sales and others are not. I have done a little of everything and can say that what people want to hear is facts. Most don't even want to be persuaded they just want a friendly face and voice stating the facts of their inquiry.
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    tonyja26 said:

Some people are just natural at sales and others are not. I have done a little of everything and can say that what people want to hear is facts. Most don't even want to be persuaded they just want a friendly face and voice stating the facts of their inquiry.
    Biggest headaches i've ever had were dealing with higher ups who want the hard sale, you know the types. The ones who want to be car salesman who will ask who wears the pants in the family and makes the decisions etc.. I'm the soft sale type *even when I WAS a car salesman*, I wont pressure people and even encourage them when they mention going to check elsewhere, if they tell me they're going to so and so storage down the road to check i'll tell em to say hi to "managers name" for me. Can't tell you how many times customers will come back because they appreciate the genuine customer service and no pressure sales process I provided versus the other place they went. 
  • JamesStorage
    JamesStorage Registered User ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I tend to get a better response by mentioning what we don't do. (administration fee's, etc..) Coupling that with standing up and introducing myself goes a LONG way. Especially getting up and shaking their hand and maintaining a calm convincing attitude. It's much more personal and has never failed to calm down an agitated customer. I once had one person blow in three minutes before close looking the most flustered I'd ever seen. I introduced myself and told her that I'm here as long as she needs me to be. She's been a model tenant, so well worth the extra time on the clock
  • SanSabaSongbird
    SanSabaSongbird Registered User ✭✭
    I ask and answer all the usual questions, but I tailor my approach to the person calling.  I want them to feel they are talking to a friend and not a sales person.  No one "looks forward" to storing their goods, so I try to make them feel comfortable and still get the message across.
  • jayjay
    jayjay Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭✭
    Doc... Love your quote!
    Doc said:
    Most companies have a "script" that they would like the manager to follow simply because it is a good reminder of your particular points you want to incorporate into the conversation. I totally agree with Thrifty Storage knowing your product, if you don't, no script is going to help. Every prospect is different and there or inquiring for their own reasons. You need to find out what that is, how you can help them and make them believe you are the best place with the best people to accomplish that. Conversations don't follow scripts but your script can assist you with guiding your conversation along the most positive route.

• ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orkocean said:
    tonyja26 said:

Biggest headaches i've ever had were dealing with higher ups who want the hard sale, you know the types. The ones who want to be car salesman who will ask who wears the pants in the family and makes the decisions etc.. I'm the soft sale type *even when I WAS a car salesman*, I wont pressure people and even encourage them when they mention going to check elsewhere, if they tell me they're going to so and so storage down the road to check i'll tell em to say hi to "managers name" for me. Can't tell you how many times customers will come back because they appreciate the genuine customer service and no pressure sales process I provided versus the other place they went. 
    That's how I am with potential tenants. If they say they are going to shop around, I offer them an up to date list of our competitors in the area with their prices; I let them know I can save them some time and gas and they can look at the list and pull the other facility #s off it and call them. They always come back. We are competitively priced and the cleanest facility around...and the manager here is pretty awesome too haha.  
  • Orkocean
    ESS said:
    Orkocean said:
    tonyja26 said:

That's how I am with potential tenants. If they say they are going to shop around, I offer them an up to date list of our competitors in the area with their prices; I let them know I can save them some time and gas and they can look at the list and pull the other facility #s off it and call them. They always come back. We are competitively priced and the cleanest facility around...and the manager here is pretty awesome too haha.  
    Pride in your establishment can go a long way. I'm sure in the years since we left our Pasadena facility right by san jac college that is has gone downhill. I was getting calls from customers still years after leaving it to gripe about how bad they want us to come back and how poor it has gotten. While we were are at a property we treat it as it's our own, even if it means I need to go out on my day off to do some extra cleaning. We were referred to as the "taj mahal" of storage for that area and owners from other sites would come visit when in town just to see it. 
  • AKKathie
    AKKathie Registered User ✭✭✭
    This is all well and great to try to rope a good customer in, but how do you handle it when you can tell this just may NOT be a customer you want in your facility? I KNOW you ALL must have some issue with the homeless and drug addicts that come in for the move in special and then never pay again and leave all their "treasures" for us to dispose of after a 90 day period. Let's be real and honest.
  • Orkocean
    You reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. We turned away one the other day once she mentioned she was being kicked out from her current storage. Various ways you can do it, if I get the feeling it's someone I don't want I stop trying for the sale as I can pretty much close anyone if I want to and start pushing higher prices/items to make. If you truly don't feel comfortable renting to someone just be upfront with them.
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    CVSSSTORAGE Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    I say we are full if I don't want to rent to someone. If they call on the phone I tell them prices are subject to change and when they get there if they aren't a desired tenant I simply say the prices are now higher. 
  • Drew_Scadoo
    Drew_Scadoo Registered User ✭✭✭
    We don't wing it but we try to capture need by date, phone number, email, what they are storing and tell them about the required disc lock, insurance and admin fee. Also we try to capture what kind of items they want to store. 
  • ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    AKKathie said:
    This is all well and great to try to rope a good customer in, but how do you handle it when you can tell this just may NOT be a customer you want in your facility? I KNOW you ALL must have some issue with the homeless and drug addicts that come in for the move in special and then never pay again and leave all their "treasures" for us to dispose of after a 90 day period. Let's be real and honest.
    I have never had an issue, yet, with homeless or drug addicts. I did have a prospective tenant come in and was an A-Hole from the start. After he kept trying to challenge all of my addendums, I finally took his tenant info pkt, shredded it and let him know I don't think this is the facility for him. He walked out calling me a few choice names haha. After about an hour, he called the store to try to give me a piece of his mind again. When I realized it was him, I said, "thank you for your call sir I hope you found your storage, have a wonderful day!" and hung up on him.
  • jhopkins6977
    jhopkins6977 Registered User ✭✭

Just tell them; We don't have a space for you. LOL

• Jeffrey_Buller
    Jeffrey_Buller Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭
    AKKathie said:

Me: Only thing I have right now are 
  • Jeffrey_Buller
    Jeffrey_Buller Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭
    12x30 at $350 a month do you want to start the paperwork?

• jcatt
    jcatt Registered User
    Do you need temperature control or an outdoor unit; how long will you be renting for (cost benefits for renting longer and if a senior).
  • Orkocean
    We actually preach to NOT ask if they need climate/drive up. We're the experts and we're the ones that should recommend based on what they are storing. Another reason to ask how long they are renting is for the upsell. If they are staying longer than a few months you can push for bigger space to allow getting to items as seasons change or new items are purchased and need to be fit in.
  • KarenPenrod
    KarenPenrod Registered User
    No we don't use a script and everyone is slightly different but the facilities have been here in this town a good while and stay well rented at each location. Most of us are pretty friendly and low turnover so customers really get to know us and us them which I think helps. 
  • lmcav1116
    lmcav1116 Registered User
    No script but the repeating info from the common questions will stick in your mind after a few tenants and you will naturally start to "script" your own interactions in order to be the most efficient and informative person on site lol. It will be routine in no time.

• UstorGreenway
    UstorGreenway Registered User
    Most important is how you get the ANSWERS you need, so that you can provide the customer with the right solution.  We all have the standard questions; what's important is how you present them to the customer.  We ALWAYS stand up, greet the customer, offer a water bottle, and show them respect by looking directly at them when talking. Take notice of their car, clothes, and body language.  Quickly identify anything that you can use to build that rapport.  You don't want them in and out of your office in 30 seconds.  Identify with them, so that they can see you are there FOR them, and that their needs are important.  Be sincere about what you offer and remember that VALUE is more important than price.  Believe in yourself and in your product/service.
    I started in storage March 2021, and have already received "Store Of The Year" for 2022, out of 16 properties.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads