Overlock unit for reasons other than unpaid rent

cgothard
cgothard Registered User

do you overlock units for other reasons other than their rent is late? IF so how do you track these units in SiteLinl

Tagged:

Comments

• ThriftyStorage
    ThriftyStorage Registered User ✭✭✭

Here, we overlock due to lack of payment. Once you over lock a unit it will show up in red on the site map.

• i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside from a court order, I'm curious to know what other reason(s) you would have to lock out a tenant other than not paying rent?
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • karen700
    karen700 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    The only time I have over locked someone other than late is when a customer hit gate with Uhaul on way out gate...he wouldn't answer phone to return to property so I over locked his storage building. It took some time and thank goodness for security cameras!
  • cgothard
    cgothard Registered User
    We over lock if they don't sign requested lease or paperwork. Right now I have one that we caught trying to cut the lock off, the person cutting the lock was not on the lease and the person on the lease won't answer the phone. 
  • karen700
    karen700 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
     :o 
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭

We over lock when we restrict access hours (for rule breaking or bad behavior). Our lease states that we can restrict access for the safety or security of the facility.

We set them in the system to only allow Gate access during office hours. Sometimes they try to slip in after hours, so over locks discourage that.

This is usually the last step before eviction, although I have a few tenants who are restricted and following the rules now.

• ThriftyStorage
    ThriftyStorage Registered User ✭✭✭
     Can't the facility terminate a lease for a lot of reasons? For instance, BBQ grilling outside of their unit! I have a tenant here that has signed his lease on 12/04/2017 and he is here more than any tenant that has been here a lot longer. On 12/07/2017 we had a box trailer stolen from the parking area. Now, my gut was telling me that this person that is constantly around probably had a hand in it. Come to find out that he was later arrested for meth on 12/28/2017. He is still locked up, but his lady came into the facility on 01/06/2018 at 12:30 a.m. I try to keep the reins on me pretty tight, so as to not say or do things out of emotions. When I feel uncomfortable about something I will mull over it for a couple of days. When the tenant gets out of jail I maybe force to make a decisions to not renew the lease, and tell the tenant that I do not feel comfortable with him on the property. Do you know that some apartment complexes will not lease to persons that have drug convictions???
  • cgothard
    cgothard Registered User
    My question was how do you track these "other" overlocked units in Sitelink so that you can make sure the managers locks are on them during the daily walk through.
  • skinman
    skinman Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can manually overlock any unit in ledger settings for that tenant. They'll then show red on your map. Just keep in mind a reverse overlock will show up in the drop down for your reminders if they are not past due. if your managers are up to speed on why they are overlocked, it shouldn't be an issue. Just put a note on the payment screen as well.
  • khemnis
    khemnis Registered User ✭✭✭
    I just learn something new every day when I come here.  :-)  Thank you for the tip Skinman.
  • selfstoragelumberton
    selfstoragelumberton Registered User
    Can the Overlock & Fee be set up to process automatically, as the late fees are done in Sitelink?

• ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can the Overlock & Fee be set up to process automatically, as the late fees are done in Sitelink?

Overlock would need to be processed in your Reminders. The fee associated with it can be configured and scheduled by going to Setup>Past Due Schedule>Overlock; this way, when you process your OL in reminders screen, it will process the fee, as well. We only have a late fee associated with our overlocks, but if you want to (and are permitted to) you can add a fee for the overlock. If your late fee is associated with your overlock schedule, go into same screen but choose Late Fee #1 (assuming it will be the first late fee that month) and adjust what you need to.
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭

That's one that won't process automatically, because you have to physically place the overlock.  If it automatically processed, then how would you know which locks needed to be placed?
  • LADYLIFT1
    LADYLIFT1 Registered User ✭✭✭
    I will overlock if a customer gave the key to someone, then they broke up or whatever. Changed their mind til they can make it back in and get new keys, so at their req
  • GlenMark
    GlenMark Registered User ✭✭✭
    We rarely overlock. However, if folks whose access has been suspended due to lack of payment follow others through the gate to get to their own unit, we will overlock and charge not only an overlock fee, but a lock removal fee as well. It has curbed disrespectful behavior.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads