WHAT ARE YOUR BIGGEST MARKETING FRUSTRATIONS?

Options
kromoleon
kromoleon Automatit Moderator
Don't be shy...marketing (especially internet marketing) is a big, fast, often confusing world...so let's see how much we can gain from a little vulnerability. 
Kevin Romo-Leon
Marketing Communications Director
"How Storage Customers Think About Things"

Answers

• MDavis
    MDavis Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭
    Options
    I have tried a couple of times to do a Facebook ad campaign and I don't get one person to click.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
  • ThriftyStorage
    ThriftyStorage Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options

mDavis, you got to have that ad that is popping, that will grab the readers attention and make them run straight to your facility whether they need storage or not! Other than that, you probably have a good ad.!!!

• AStorageMktg
    AStorageMktg Registered User
    Options
    This isn't a frustration - yet - but I am looking for some guidance/advice on creating a marketing plan for my company. We are a small, locally owned and operated company with three locations within a metropolitan area. If anyone has  a marketing plan that they would feel comfortable sharing, I would love to pick your brain! 
  • kromoleon
    Options
    This isn't a frustration - yet - but I am looking for some guidance/advice on creating a marketing plan for my company. We are a small, locally owned and operated company with three locations within a metropolitan area. If anyone has  a marketing plan that they would feel comfortable sharing, I would love to pick your brain! 

Good Morning, 

Your participation in this forum is greatly appreciated, thank you! 

Considering your three facilities, you must be doing something right ;-) So let me ask you this...
    What are you really trying to accomplish? Or better yet, what is your 2018 end-of-year goal? 

The details of the day-to-day can definitely get overwhelming and distract us from a clear business goal - so if you can determine where you want the business to be at the end of next year, it's more effective to work 'backwards.' 

Feel free to message me here or contact me directly at kromoleon@automatit.net with clarifying questions. 

Best,

Kevin 
    Kevin Romo-Leon
  • kromoleon
    Options

Good Morning, 

Your participation in this forum is greatly appreciated, thank you! 

Considering your three facilities, you must be doing something right ;-) So let me ask you this...
    What are you really trying to accomplish? Or better yet, what is your 2018 end-of-year goal? 

The details of the day-to-day can definitely get overwhelming and distract us from a clear business goal - so if you can determine where you want the business to be at the end of next year, it's more effective to work 'backwards.' 

Feel free to message me here or contact me directly at kromoleon@automatit.net with clarifying questions. 

Best,

Kevin 
    Kevin Romo-Leon
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You say you're in a metropolitan area so I would think you have quite a few neighboring businesses to your facilities. No matter what marketing efforts/gimmicks/plans are used I've always found word of mouth to be the best source. If you don't have one already, develop a good referral program even for those who don't store with you so you have a way to incentivize other businesses to refer people to you. I always refer to it as a pyramid scheme scenario, as bad as that sounds it's the best way I coudl think to summarize it. I want to be at the top of that pyramid and have people under me spreading the word and sending me the business :) To go along with the referral network look around and see what your competitors are doing. If they're pushing SUPER low pricing and are on par with what you offer feature wise you might have to re-evaluate your pricing if it's slow to compete and unfortunately have a price war for a bit if you're not on the higher end of occupancy and just revenue manage the people coming in for cheap pretty regularly. If you have a specific feature that the others lack and it's a good one make sure you point it out. Your competitors may have tiny aisles and you are the only one with wide aisles, or 18 wheeler access perhaps.. Whatever the case may be. Learn what your competition excels and fails at so you know what to emphasize. I'm not ashamed to say if someone points out security that unlike the others in town, we don't have issues as you can easily search police reports and prove it.
  • ThriftyStorage
    ThriftyStorage Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    kromoleom: get on Google!!!! Period!!!!!
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We are family owned with one location in a smaller community and hands down our biggest advantage over everyone else is our online presence. 
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • brownrooster
    brownrooster Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    MDAVIS:

1)  Choose your customer.  It will feel counter-intuitive.  Do it anyway.  If I ask you "Who is your customer?"  you better not say "Anyone"  cause first, it is a lie.  I'll prove it.  If I said I knew of someone who has bed bugs, no money, is constantly late paying all of their obligations and they and all of their stuff smells like open sewage....do you want them?  Of course not.  So if you are going to be selective, be selective. This will allow you to save money by only trying to appeal to a limited scope of people.  Now, sure, others may come in. I sometimes catch a catfish while bass fishing but that doesn't change the fact that bass are what I want.   Now that you have segmented your general population, target them.  It will be the difference between hunting with a shotgun or a deer rifle.  Sure a shot gun will hit more things, but a deer rifle will allow you to tag it, bag it, and drag it home.

2) Make your facility appeal to your chosen group.  The colors of your buildings, your landscaping, amenities, decisions to have white glove service or not, lighting, camera placement and usage, hours, etc.  Give the group you want every reason to say yes before they ever hit your office. 

3) Make your pricing work for your target not for your accountant.  if you do the former, it will do the latter.

4) Now that is all done, you can start your advertising plan.  (PS...marketing plan and advertising plan are not the same.  if you promise me you will never use the words advertising and marketing interchangeably ever again, i will continue to help :-).    Look for things (locations, events, causes, etc) that are already attracting YOUR crowd.  For example, if you want millennials don't waste your ad budget trying to reach them on FB...they left years ago once their parents started trolling them.  You will have to spend money just trying to get them to FB, then to pay attention to your ad.  But if your group is at a soccer field on Saturday mornings then take a tent, set up in the parking lot, take applications or a computer with you and start signing people up. Maybe even offer a soccer clinic if that is what your group is into.  The point is, be where your people are. Hunting penguins in the desert is stupid.  Get your calendar and a calculator.  Figure out what your profit margin is on a rental...then figure out how many units of size "X" you have to rent to cover the cost of your advertising.  Once you know about how much you can spend each month, try to schedule one event based and one advertising based ad/marketing campaign each month.  (but it is better to do fewer and do them well then lots of crappy ones.)  For example, I am planning on my store being at the dorms when college dorms start filling up.  I will have furniture dollies, hand trucks and movers there for them to use.  All for free.  The only catch is, they have to leave their DL as a deposit while they have my stuff. While they are moving, I am copying all of their data into a CRM so I can follow up.

5) Now that you know who you are, who you want to reach, what will set you apart, and when you will try to reach your peeps, you have permission to try to design ads to reach them.  To many people want to advertise before they have their marketing in place, and yes I am talking about all 5 of the 5 P's.  (i added one...when i was getting my masters in this stuff, I felt like the old 4 p's left something out:  Product, Place, Price, Promotion and PEOPLE.)

Get everything else nailed down before you start the promotion and advertising thing and you will be fine.

GOOD LUCK!
  • brownrooster
    brownrooster Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh, and my biggest frustration is that people think that marketing and advertising are the same thing.  GRRRRR!!!

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads