Multiple discounts on Move-in

How do you apply two discounts on move-in.  For example we offer a military discount and are also running a promotion on half off the month.  One of them is added in the lead to lease section.  Then when you try to add the other during move in, it removes the other one.  I normally just credit the acct the discount amount of the second one.   Are two discounts not possible?

Comments

• i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never been able to get two to work at once.  I usually apply one, and then go back and apply another one.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • skinman
    skinman Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never offered multiple discounts.... LOL
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 discounts are not possible. In your situation what we have always done is tell the person their military discount would start when the move in special wears off as you can't stack discounts ontop of discounts.. no extreme couponing in storage! :)      Technically you could always do a manual discount for the total for the 2 if you really wanted to.
  • AnitaJohnson1269
    AnitaJohnson1269 Registered User ✭✭✭✭
    We only let them have one discount (except for the prepay 12 mos).  I usually let them choose which one they want, the free month or the 10% military.
  • LinderISS
    LinderISS Registered User
    In order to achieve the result, don't you have to "set tenants rate" using the calculated discount of one and then  an additional defined discount with the list of defined discounts?  That way it will carry forward subsequent months (in a reduced rate) so you don't have to remember to apply the discount monthly thereafter.   Is there a better way?   
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are doing 2 long term discounts *which I wouldn't advise* then you could set the tenant rate to the what the discounted portion would be *senior discount for instance* and then apply the 2nd discount. Or just create a discount that encompasses all of the discounts you're wanting to apply. But once again I wouldn't advise stacking discounts like that. Not saying any of you have this issue but in my years i've seen employees who don't have the "backbone" to stand firm on policies and enforce things such as only 1 discount at a time or especially insurance requirements confidently enough to get the customer to buy in without question.
  • sonyawiprud
    sonyawiprud Registered User ✭✭✭
    You have to go in and manually apply it in the move-in screen, click the + button next to the rent, add a period and click on the line item, under discounts in your drop down menu choose Sr. or Military, this will calculate the discount, then add another period and waive that month if it is free by inputting the total rent (discounted) on that line. The trick to this is to make sure that the lead is set up to not include any discounts, if you or your staff has already checked the discount box in leads, then clear the box, otherwise this whole thing wont work, always make sure when you have to do it manually that all the boxes are cleared first. It is frustrating and I wish we had a menu that includes all of the different discount scenarios encompassed into one click. We used to have it this way and that went away for some reason.   
  • MegumiM
    MegumiM Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭
    I've done this a couple of different ways.

1) Complete a the move-in with the military discount but do not take a payment just yet. Then, open up the tenant account in PAYMENTS and then add the 2nd discount from "Edit Charges & Payments" and take their payment.

OR

2) Calculate what the Rate would be with the military discount and manually change the tenant's rate. Then apply the 2nd discount and complete the move-in. Make sure you leave a Red Note (Tenant Note) on their account about the military discount or you'll have a very uncomfortable conversation with the tenant later if you increase their rate without a standard rate increase.
  • JamesStorage
    JamesStorage Registered User ✭✭✭
    @MegumiM That sounds like experience talking lol. I generally do what @Orkocean suggested, and edit the actual tenant rate when I have a military discount
  • Juan
    Juan Registered User
    edited April 2019
    Before I give 1, 2 or 3! discounts.  I always ask the prospect.  How long do you plan to be with us?   If them say 6 months or more I'd give them 1 maybe 2 discounts.   If they say a year or more I'd give them 2 maybe 3 discounts.  To keep them from going to the competition.
  • dde
    dde Registered User ✭✭

MegumiM - I'd love to learn more about how you do option 1!! When I give a discount at the move in (clicking the + sign), save it and then when it asks to esign or payment, I go to payment and then edit charges. The discount combo box doesn't even exist! Only way is by using the discount. I'm fairly new to SiteLink so maybe I have to set a option somewhere!! :)

• dde
    dde Registered User ✭✭
    I should have said in my above message:  Only way is by using the credit box on the detail line.
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭

You can only apply one "concession" or discount plan at a time. Any other discount would have to be performed manually by changing the unit rate.

You could theoretically just create a new discount plan that captures two or more separate discounts, combining them into one super Voltron discount plan.

• dde
    dde Registered User ✭✭
    Thanks, for the reply!!
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭

MegumiM  --  (your 1st method) Its been a long time since I've tried that, but the system wouldn't let you do the 2nd discount even with the zero payment/go back in method back in the day....which I admit was likely 2014/2015ish!

Interesting that it works now. Lord knows we tried everything we could think of to avoid adjusting rates back then!

• amills
    amills Registered User
    how do you apply more than one discount when customer has 3-units,trying to apply our 10% discount but can only get it to work on only 1 unit?
  • ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    amills said:
    how do you apply more than one discount when customer has 3-units,trying to apply our 10% discount but can only get it to work on only 1 unit?
    You will have to click on each unit, add the discounts separately, save, and go to the next unit. If you make it a non-expiring discount, it will add them automatically each month.
  • amills
    amills Registered User
    thanks for info on applying the discounts, next question would be how do you make it so it doesn't expire?
  • ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    amills said:
    thanks for info on applying the discounts, next question would be how do you make it so it doesn't expire?
    Setup>Discount Plans>add or edit the discount you want>be sure to click the box labeled "Expiration" to "Never Expires"
  • ESS
    When you go back into their Charges and Payments, it will be in the drop down screen labeled Non-Expiring Discount". Apply it in that screen and Ok until you're out of the tenant screen
  • Vonn64
    Vonn64 Registered User
    I have a tenant who signed his lease, came the next day to move in and decided the unit was not big enough and transferred to a bigger unit.  The problem is that the smaller unit qualified for our $1 Move In Special but the larger one does not.  When I did the transfer the discount special transferred too and he  was given the month of May for $1 and has a credit for June rent.  Is there a way to fix this? 
  • ESS
    Go to the Charges and Payments and manually add his rent there. Alternatively, you could move him out, and move him back into the larger unit and transfer the funds over
  • AnitaJohnson1269
    AnitaJohnson1269 Registered User ✭✭✭✭
    @Vonn64 when you do a transfer from a unit with a move in special to one without, at the transfer/payment screen there is a checkbox you can check to disable any special or discounts. This won't remove non expiring such as military 10% off ect. 
  • Rezorios
    Rezorios Registered User
    edited November 2021
    I love getting discounts, especially on Black Fridays, usually on these days, I buy a lot of different goods. It makes me happy that retailers take care of their customers and offer many products at discounted prices. In 2019, I spent just over $2,500 during Black Friday. My friends said I was crazy. After that incident, I started using a financial guide to buy items at the lowest prices on the market. In a few months, I saved a lot of money. I did not believe before that it was possible to save so much money by finding additional promotions.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads