Invoicing Over Discount Periods

AZStorageGuy
AZStorageGuy Registered User ✭✭✭
One thing I have found with units that have a discount rate applied across multiple months is that when Sitelink creates an invoice to send to the customer for their next rent payment (after the initial move-in), it always bills the entire discount period in one lump sum.

Ouch!  This always results in sticker shock for my customers.  They invariably call me after receiving the invoice. "Do I really have to pay THAT much?"

They see an invoice for four months or six months worth of rent and think that's what they owe for their next payment on the first of the month.  I have to reassure them that, no, they don't. 

Any possibility of changing this so that the customer gets MONTHLY invoicing of the discounted rent for that upcoming month only, as they do when there is no discount applied?
 William McBride

Comments

• Ron
    Ron Registered User ✭✭✭
    We give a 10% discount to those who pay 3 or more month in advance. 

• AZStorageGuy
    @Ron, what happens if you create that discount at the front end, i.e., you apply 10% off the first 3 months of the tenant's rent (like a move-in special). 

Let's say the tenant pays the first of these 3 months.  And let's say you have him set up for monthly invoicing. The very first invoice he receives will be a bill for the remainder of the discount period.  The bill will say that he owes all of that amount on the first of next month. 

No, he doesn't!

This is the problem I am having with how SiteLink invoices during a discount period.  It bills the entire discount period all at once.  It is incorrect and it gives the tenant a heart attack when he see this aggregate bill and is told he must pay it all on the first of next month.  See what I am saying? 

This is what I wish SMD would fix.
     William McBride
  • Ron
    Ron Registered User ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    AZStorageGuy I see what you are saying. I do see what Sitelink is doing. You have created 3 months of charges on an account, they paid 1. So when the next invoice prints, it shows all outstanding charges, which is what it is supposed to show.

Can you set up a new discount plan that is monthly and expires in 3 months? Then it would just show 1 month on their invoice.

• AZStorageGuy
    So far, I haven't seen where or how to do that. 
     William McBride
  • Garrett_Boone
    Garrett_Boone SiteLink Tech Support, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭
    Hi @AZStorageGuy,

There is a Program Default setting that determines which charges will be invoiced. This can be found in the Invoice menu of your Program Defaults. If you switch to "Include unpaid charges for past and current billing periods," your invoices will only show charges that are due (at the discounted rate, if applicable) and not include future charges. 
  • AZStorageGuy
    @Garrett_Boone, I really like the sound of that.  Let me pass that info along to my area manager and have him tweak the invoice settings. Thanks a bunch!
     William McBride
  • ThriftyStorage
    ThriftyStorage Registered User ✭✭✭
    in order to get those Discounts Sitelink is right. If the customer wants the Discounts they have to pay up front!!!!!
  • AZStorageGuy
    @Garrett_Boone, following up on this, I brought up the issue with both my boss and my area manager.  Boss says to follow up with you...

Here's what I'm wondering: would you consider a THIRD setting for customer invoices in the Program Defaults?

A radio button selection for "include unpaid charges for past, current and next billing period only."

This way, customers who are set for receiving monthly invoices will only see a bill for their next discounted month, not ALL of them.
     William McBride
  • Garrett_Boone
    Garrett_Boone SiteLink Tech Support, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭
    @AZStorageGuy unless I am misunderstanding you, that is indeed what the second invoice setting does. When using this setting the invoice will only include past unpaid charges and the next rent charge, regardless of any future charges that may be on the account. 

For example, if you have a tenant who is current on rent, say paid thru 7/31/17, the invoice will only show 8/1 Rent even if there are future rent charges already added to the account. 

If you would like to submit a feature request, please email support@sitelink.com or call our office at 919-865-0789 ext 2 and speak with one of our technicians. 
  • AZStorageGuy
    edited July 2017
    @Garrett_Boone, this is great news!  I'm passing this along to my boss and area manager.

Their concern was that the change of setting might adversely affect the tenants who get semi-annual and annual invoicing. 

This would not affect them, right?
     William McBride
  • Garrett_Boone
    @AZStorageGuy great question, you are correct. If a tenant is set to annual or semi-annual billing they will still be invoiced for the full cycle regardless of this setting. 

• AZStorageGuy
    Awesome, @Garrett_Boone! Thanks.
     William McBride
  • AZStorageGuy
    One more questions, @Garrett_Boone ...

With that second setting, can discounted customers still pay online one month at a time?
     William McBride
  • Garrett_Boone
    @AZStorageGuy yes, customers will still be able to pay online one month at a time. 
  • AZStorageGuy
    Too good to be true. B) Thanks again!
     William McBride
  • SeanL_ESM
    SeanL_ESM Registered User ✭✭
    Easiest thing might be to just create a reminder for yourself in outlook or another calendar and use Sitelink's manual invoice creator. That way you can add only the charges you want to show in the invoice. I've had to do this myself a few times.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads