Prorated/Partial Credit Card Refunds

GoGreen
GoGreen Registered User ✭✭✭
Hello everyone!

We recently moved over to SiteLink Merchant Services because they wouldn't accept our CC processor anymore, and we've started running into various issues. In this case, a tenant paid a year in advance but no longer needs it and wants a refund for the unused time. We can't go the route of "voiding" the payment since it would return the full balance paid. However, when I moved the unit out and went to do the prorated refund that way, it would not give me the option to refund it by a card - only cash, check, or money order. If possible, he'd like the refund back on his card. Can anyone advise on how to do a prorated refund back to a tenant's card? 

Thanks in advance! 

Comments

• themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was the initial payment made before you switched card processors? 
    We haven't had this particular issue, so that is the only thing I can think of. 
  • GoGreen
    The payment was made after we switched processors, unfortunately. The transition has been a bit of a headache, we're having issues with tenant's making payments online now as well. 
  • GoGreen
    Got our answer from Sitelink support yesterday. Turns out that you cannot process a prorated refund back to a card, it can only be done by check, cash, or money order. Refunds to cards must be done in full, by voiding the payment. It was a sort of bizarre call - we were on the phone going through all the possible refund procedures and it wasn't until the very end that they informed me that it was all for naught as it's not possible to do anyways. 
  • devinkm10
    devinkm10 Registered User
    I spoke with 2 different people at Storable that have not resolved my issue on giving refunds, but gave me a work-around, that not only will screw up our reports / books, but still doesn't allow me to refund any clients that have not made a payment since switching cc processors. They tell me I can't make partial refunds, or refund to the credit card on file and the only way to give a refund to a client that has moved out (for their refundable deposit) is to write a check and void a payment (which takes it from rental income then, instead of security deposits) and it won't even let me do that (it comes up with an error that says "Amount too small"). Needless to say, I am less than impressed with being forced to change Storable since all of this was working seamlessly before switching. And I now have 4 refunds due people that are just sitting there in SiteLink because I can't do anything with them.
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    This does not sound good ...
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • storable_support
    storable_support Registered User, Registered Moderator, Community Manager ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Hi all, I'm looking into this now, to see how I can help and will follow up ASAP. 
    ~ Amy C.
  • storable_support
    Hello, I wanted to follow up and let you all know that we'll be building out the feature of partial refunds. It's currently on our roadmap, but I don't have an exact timeline to share right now. 

@devinkm10, we looked further into your issues and want to apologize for the frustration as we recognize the mess with reconciliation this caused! In the future, if the deposit shows as owed to the tenant, then it can be returned to the tenant during the move-out or at a later point by going to Adjustments -> Refunds. This will allow you to refund the security deposit in a way that won't mess up reporting. I hope this helps! If not, I'd be glad to have someone from Support walk you through it by phone, just message me with your number. 

• kaydus
    kaydus Registered User
    edited June 2022
    Any updates on a partial refund? It looks like under refund, after marking the amount due, there is a field to type in a different amount. Is that correct?
  • storable_support
    @kaydus, Here is a copy of the release notes of the refund feature in 2021:

We have added the ability to refund money directly to a tenant’s credit card during the move-out process. There are a few security measures in place that you should know about that help prevent fraud when issuing a refund to a credit card:
    • The card you are issuing the refund to must have been used at your facility previously and processed by Storable Payments.
    • You cannot refund more money to a credit card than has been spent at your facility and processed by Storable Payments. If you have recently switched to Storable Payments and need to issue a refund for an amount greater than what has been processed through Storable Payments so far, we recommend issuing a check to the customer.
    • You cannot refund more than the calculated refundable amount based on the tenant’s ledger.

If you need additional support on this, please call our Payments Support at 512-886-1840.
  • GM_SJ_BSS
    GM_SJ_BSS Registered User ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    @GoGreen, I prorate move outs to a tenant's card no problem.  We decided we no longer want to issue prorated refund checks but will still prorate a move out to a tenant's bank or credit card.  We have sitelink, so the way I do it, is at time of the move in, I tell them that the only way we prorate move outs is by having a card on file.  I inform them, they do not have to be on autopay, they only have to keep a card of file if they want to be prorated out.  I assure them if they have not signed an autopay form, the card will never be charged without their permission.  So, if the tenant has a card on file, when you move them out and select prorate, refund to customer, you will see their card on file, and you process the refund right to the card.  IF there is no card on file, it only gives you the option to refund by check, cash.

P.S.  Even if the tenant normally pays in cash or personal check, it lets me refund to their card if they have one on file.  Hope this works for you.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads